Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2013, 01:13 AM   #1 
Nowaykittay

Question platy "family" questions

i have a 20 g community tank (heated, filtered, planted, cycled) that has 4 albino corys, 4 platies (1:3 m-f), and 2 mollies (hopefully getting rid of shortly).

my favourite lady platy, scarlett johansson, gave birth a few weeks ago and all of her babies were promptly eaten (or so i thought). yesterday i was watching the tank when i noticed a single bright red fry darting through the fake guppy grass! i got really excited for no particular reason but then i got worried. i really want to keep this little guy/gal alive. hes a few weeks old and is just starting to grow into his eyes. id say hes like 1.5 cm so hes still small enough to be eaten. should i invest in a breeder? i doubt i could actually catch him to put him in but i really want to keep him alive. suggestions would be wonderful :0)

also the male platy (Ice-T) is super weird. he has three ladies to choose from but he has been glued to one (Coco) since the day they arrived. he chases the other lady platies away and then follows her around the tank. he wont mate with the other two at all. Scarlett only gave birth because she was pregnant when we got her. he mates with Coco, guards her while she gives birth, and then after eating the babies ( ) mates with her again. i feel really bad for the other two girls because he is really nasty to them. could anyone explain why/ help find a solution?
Nowaykittay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:11 AM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

A breeder trap would be really good and will keep him alive. I have one like this-

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  21.2 KB
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #3 
Nowaykittay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
A breeder trap would be really good and will keep him alive. I have one like this-

Attachment 84393
That one looks good! The ones I saw at petsmart were just a mesh bag. Ill check their website later :)
Old 03-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I'm sure that would work. I just have one like that. As Lon's as it keeps the baby in and let's water in and out, it will work.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #5 
syds mom

I have 3 of those that mattsbetta has and they are wonderful. Right now all are full with baby cories and guppy babies. They come in very handy
syds mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

+1. They are also good for timeout if. Sorority girl is being mean. A must have IMO.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #7 
Nowaykittay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
+1. They are also good for timeout if. Sorority girl is being mean. A must have IMO.
That's probably what I should do with the overly agressive male, ice-t. Maybe if he can't chase the others he'll calm down!