Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2013, 11:47 PM   #1 
creame172

I'm looking for opinions on my CT pair

So my original intention was to purchase a good quality female on aquabid. I was unsure of what I was looking for. Tonight I went to the petsmart with my sister to buy her supplies to convince her to take proper care of her VT male. Anyway, I happened to look at the bettas on the shelf and there was one little girl left. I know she is nothing special but I just liked her and so I took her home with me. I named her Sassy :)
I'm not great with colors yet so part of what I am asking is what color you all think Sassy is. I'm guessing she has iridescence? She has a blue-green shine to her. I am hoping she is marble? I know her colors might change as she gets older, and I'm partly just guessing.
The second part of what I am asking is what you all think I might get if I were to breed Panic and Sassy. I'm still don't completely understand genetics but I'm working on it. :) just looking for some expert advice.
I'm doing this from my phone so will upload pictures of both fishies in about ten minutes.
creame172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:49 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Pictures would help.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:04 AM   #3 
creame172

yeah sry i cant do it from my phone i had to jump on my laptop.

This is Sassy:

And this is Pan:

Last edited by creame172; 03-24-2013 at 12:07 AM. Reason: pictures too big
Old 03-24-2013, 02:50 AM   #4 
caissacrowntails

hi there creame, congrats on your new bettas. I think sassy is a cambodian. and Panic is a "cooper". What if u breed them? well if you're just looking for pets, then it's no problem. But if your aim is "show quality" then..I think not advisable. just my 2 cents though :)
caissacrowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #5 
creame172

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissacrowntails View Post
hi there creame, congrats on your new bettas. I think sassy is a cambodian. and Panic is a "cooper". What if u breed them? well if you're just looking for pets, then it's no problem. But if your aim is "show quality" then..I think not advisable. just my 2 cents though :)
Thanks! Yeah I know they are not high quality or anything. I am just fond of them and interested to find out what I will get :). I was thinking maybe it would be better to start out with them and then when i get better at breeding move on to the "show quality". It would be awful to waste show quality because I don't understand what I am doing. I still have a lot to learn before I even breed these two.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Just know that breeding is very expensive and takes big responsibility, it will take as much money as breeding pet store fish as much as breeding show-quality. (Besides the fishes' price, lol)
Do they both have a 180* spread? Or at least one of them do? The main problem with store bettas is that you don't know their genes, and they usually have defects like hunch backs or uneven fins.

Just think about it first. :)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #7 
caissacrowntails

yes, like LTB said. Looking at their colors ( let's assume they are both "true breed, though this is probably not the case ), the F1 probably dark bodied, green/turquoise/blue/steel blue - red multi ( most of them ), and maybe some "cooper" multi. But what I really concern about is not the colors, it's pan's top - line, while sassy is quite nice actually. So if I were to breed sassy, I'd rather wait till I have another "better" male :). and as usual..just my 2 cents though

Last edited by caissacrowntails; 03-24-2013 at 11:01 AM. Reason: typo correction :)
Old 03-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #8 
creame172

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Just know that breeding is very expensive and takes big responsibility, it will take as much money as breeding pet store fish as much as breeding show-quality. (Besides the fishes' price, lol)
Do they both have a 180* spread? Or at least one of them do? The main problem with store bettas is that you don't know their genes, and they usually have defects like hunch backs or uneven fins.

Just think about it first. :)
Is there a way to tell any of those? I would definitely like to avoid things like that! It doesn't look to me like Sassy has a 180 but Panic might? And yeah I am saving up and buying my supplies gradually so that I will have everything I need. I won't start anything until I'm ready. Another 6 months from now at the soonest
Old 03-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #9 
creame172

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissacrowntails View Post
yes, like LTB said. Looking at their colors ( let's assume they are both "true breed, though this is probably not the case ), the F1 probably dark bodied, green/turquoise/blue/steel blue - red multi ( most of them ), and maybe some "cooper" multi. But what I really concern about is not the colors, it's pan's top - line, while sassy is quite nice actually. So if I were to breed sassy, I'd rather wait till I have another "better" male :). and as usual..just my 2 cents though
Pans top? He has that one crooked ray but it used to be straight. Could that mean something?
Old 03-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #10 
caissacrowntails

I mean his body's top line, not his dorsal rays, creame :)

Tags
breeding, crown tail, genetics, pair