Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #1 
IanHulett

Angry betta fish female vs male care

Hi. I was told that I was overfeeding my betta fish. I was feeding my male betta 4-6 pellets per serving two times a day according to the package, then found out recently that he would not eat any of the food. I brought him to Petsmart and asked what is going on, and gave a little demonstration. I was told he was swelling. I told her I was following the instructions and she said it is more like a marketing thing. The more food you use, the more food you buy, therefore, the more money they make. So, I concluded that they don't give a **** about your betta fishes health, just about their stupid money. Sorry for the language, I'm just irritated to have found out about their greed. I have been feeding my female betta fish just as often (two times a day), but a pinch of betta flakes since that's what she can fit into her tiny little mouth. I was wondering if there's a difference in care from females to males. Do I feed Gena (the female) the same way I feed Freddy (the male)? Or are there separate feeding instructions for both? Also, are there any other differences? Thanks in advanced.
IanHulett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

What type of pellets are you feeding? And all flakes are not good for bettas for many reasons. All of my fish vary in appetite, male or female. Some are greedy little piglets and some just eat what they need. Find what works for your fish, it is probably different, but I doubt the reason behind that is their genders.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:38 PM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

I agree - it depends on the type of pellets because some are different sizes. I can't tell you about flakes... It's hard to feed a certain amount of flakes since they are all different sizes. Depending on the brand, some pellets are larger than others.

It also depends on the fish. I feed my little females the same as my adult male, but I feed my blind male much less because he is less active and bloats easily. Depending on the pellet, you can start with a certain average number and decrease the amount you feed if bloating becomes an issue. Some fish bloat easier than others. Not only is my blind male prone to bloating but he is also less active so it takes him longer to digest food. I feed him a pellet every other day or so, versus the three pellets I feed my other fish daily (omega one) or six if I'm feeding them New Life Spectrum which is much smaller.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:51 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

if you have to feed flakes - use the Omega one flakes. The first few ingredients are not byproducts - its some kind of fish, salmon, krill and i forget the last one. The thing with flakes is that its easy to over feed and can cause bloating. Using tweezers might help. I break the flake up into smaller pieces. Pellets are, in general, better but some brands are pure crap - wardly, tetra, hiraki. New Life spectrum is like $7 but its a much better food as is omega one

Quote:
I told her I was following the instructions and she said it is more like a marketing thing. The more food you use, the more food you buy, therefore, the more money they make.
Kudos to her. Most petshop (petco/petsmart) employees are clueless and they are generally the LAST place you want to go for help with fish. Its like all their info comes from a marketing manuel

Last edited by Tikibirds; 03-02-2013 at 02:53 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #5 
IanHulett

The pellets I'm using are about 1mm in diameter. The brand is Tetra. It says TetraBetta Plus on the title. The flakes are also Tetra but the title says BettaMin and those are the flakes. The flakes are paper thin like all flakes and probably 1.5mm to 2mm in diameter. I do have another brand of pellets the same size as the Tetra pellets, and the brand is called Aqueon. Then I have Freeze-dried bloodworms brand being Omega One.

Gena is about an inch and a half now, which means she grew about a half an inch since I bought her about a week ago(wow that's fast). Freddy is probably about 2 1/2 inches long. Both seem like very happy fish. Although Gena seems like she may be putting on a few extra "fish pounds," but I'm not positive about that.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #6 
shellieca

A Bettas stomach is about the size of their eye so its not very big. Some of us feed once a day others feed multiple times a day. I suggest getting New life Spectrum pellets, they are small & don't swell much if at all unlike most pellets. Mine all get 6-8 pellets per day & they gobble them up. Petsmart carries Omega one pellets which are a little bigger & do swell some so it takes fewer pellets to fill up a Betta. Petco carries the New Life Spectrum pellets.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #7 
AyalaCookiejar

The tetra pellets are not a good brand and they are also a pretty large size. If I compared the size of them to my other pellets, I would only feed two of those a day. The omega one pellets are a little smaller (3per day) and the new life spectrum smaller yet (6per day).

The omega and NLS pellets are much more nutritious.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #8 
IanHulett

So, I'll just feed the tetra pellets to my Snail orphanage which currently houses a few hundered snails, all in a 1 gallon tank. Thank goodness I took Freddy out of there. lol

Do we know if the snails I have in the "orphanage" will do well in the wild? I'm thinking about setting about 3 of every four snails out in the wild in the swamps that are just down the street when the warm temperatures return.

AND NO, none of them are mystery snails. I only have one so it cannot reproduce.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #9 
pittipuppylove

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanHulett View Post
So, I'll just feed the tetra pellets to my Snail orphanage which currently houses a few hundered snails, all in a 1 gallon tank. Thank goodness I took Freddy out of there. lol

Do we know if the snails I have in the "orphanage" will do well in the wild? I'm thinking about setting about 3 of every four snails out in the wild in the swamps that are just down the street when the warm temperatures return.

AND NO, none of them are mystery snails. I only have one so it cannot reproduce.
Never, under any circumstance, set any non-native creature, be it plant or animal, loose into the wild! You run the chance that they could survive and put undue stress on the local ecosystem.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #10 
AyalaCookiejar

Yeah, the only way to lower the number of snails you have is either to remove some and crush them before disposing of them. If you don't feed them as much, the population won't get so out of control. Usually, tanks with a lot of algae, dead plants, and uneaten fish food will create an environment where the snails will reproduce more rapidly.