Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2008, 07:31 AM   #1 
Orchidlover

Question Weekly Water Change - Need Help

I'm new betta mom and I have some questions that I need some help with:

Just got my betta and Eclipse System 3 tank on Sunday. In reading through the forum, it looks like I need to change water 25-50% two times a week for my 3 gallon tank. Is that correct?

How do I change the tank water without a temperature shock to my betta? Warm water from the faucet tested with my tank thermometer (treated with chlorine remover)?

What is the best way to reintroduce him back into his tank?

Thanks for any help!
Orchidlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:46 AM   #2 

You do not need to remove the fish. Just siphon out 20 percent with a small siphon found at most fish stores and replace it with water that has been treated with dechlorinator that detoxifys ammonia, chlorine and chloramines which is chlorine /ammonia and is close to temp in it's tank. you can also use turkey baster to remove uneaten food and poo between water changes which in my view should be twice a week. Two or three pellets of bettta food twice a day will be plenty and water quality will remain comfortable for your fish. Biggest problem in smaller tanks is overfeeding which causes lethal levels of ammonia.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #3 
iamntbatman

You don't even need a thermometer to test the water temp. Just save a little bit of the used tank water, keep your hand in it, then adjust the temperature of the tap until it's the same. Most people can get it right to within a degree or two. We're surprisingly sensitive to temperature differences!
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote