Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2008, 07:12 PM   #1 
Orchidlover

Newbie advice needed

I just purchased my first betta on Saturday. I got an Eclipse System 3 tank with a filter and Bio Wheel. Also purchased a heater and thermometer. Is this going to be a good home for him? I got him to eat one pellet last night. He tried another pellet and spit it out. After they are moved, does it take a while for them to eat again?

I'm using white rock gravel in his tank. I was adding some plastic plants last night and moved quite a bit of gravel around. It seemed to put white dust in the water. I took my betta out of the tank and let the water cycle through the filter until it cleared up before putting him back in the tank. There is a white film on top of the water though. Will this hurt him? Should I breakdown the tank, clean it and start over?
Orchidlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:28 PM   #2 
SolaceTiger

Has your tank been cycled? If not, or you have no idea what I mean when I talk about cycling, read up on that. Well, when you do buy gravel make sure you rinse it thoroughly until it runs clean... rinse well. I'm not famliar with the kits really, how many gallons is the tank? It's wonderful that you have the filter and heater. The heat should be set at about 79 degrees. About the plants, be careful which ones you use, cause plastic can be a little bit harsh and possibly rip your betas fins. I would suggest investing in some soft silk plants, and also maybe a smooth topped ornament of some sort for your beta to rest on. If you have another place to put your beta that would be nice but you could maybe try a water change. You have a syphon right? Weekly water changes after that should be good I think to.. assuming your tank is at least 2.5 gallons? I would also get a testing kit, API freshwater master test kits measure your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and PH levels, and it would be wise to invest in one. They are kinda fun to, like being in science class. Just don't get the test dip strips as I hear they are innaccurate. You could try giving your beta flakes, or freeze dried or frozen blood worms. Just don't feed blood worms more than about once or twice a week, as they can be fattening I think. I hope I got all this right, someone correct me if I'm wrong. :D Good luck!
SolaceTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:36 PM   #3 
Orchidlover

Tahnks! I have been reading online about bettas but have not seen anything about cycling. The tank is 3 gallons. I did purchase a master test kit after reading about nitrates, ammonia, PH, etc. I will look into the silk plants and I have a smooth bridge for him to lay on top or hide under.

So you don't think my changing the water so soon will stress him any further?

Thanks so much!
Orchidlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:45 PM   #4 
SolaceTiger

You know, I would wait until you get a better more knowledgable opinion than mine. Do you have your test kit yet or did you order online? I'm just not sure how detrimental it would be to change the water in a 3 gallon so soon verses a 30 gallon that I'm currently cycling.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:07 PM   #5 
Arlie

Hi
I just paid $35.00 for a water test kit using test strips now I read they are not accurate? Please tell me they are of some good use or my hubby is going to
put me down the "john" with my Betta.

Arlie
Arlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:33 PM   #6 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

Sorry to say they are not accurate at all. I have an API liquid master test kit that I paid less than $20 bucks for. $35.00 for a test strip kit? That seems awful pricey. Any chance you can return it??
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:21 PM   #7 
SolaceTiger

I'd definitely return them if I were you. :D Or possibly they'll let you do an exchange or store credit, if you can't get a refund.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:09 PM   #8 
Arlie

hi
Thanks for the replies even though they are not what I want to hear.
I bought the kit at PetCo so I will call the store in AM and ask. I did use the strips once but maybe they will take it back.
There were so many types and no cheap. Their store fish expert was not in today and the girl helping me was not much help.
Where did you buy the API kit?
Arlie
Arlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:13 PM   #9 
SolaceTiger

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit at PETCO Petco carries it, you may want to call your local one to make sure they have it in stock though. If not, you can order it of the drsfostersmith website, I highly recommend them. Great customer service and decent prices. Aquarium Water Testing: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit
Old 11-18-2008, 11:22 PM   #10 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

This is where I purchase my test kits:

Freshwater Master Test Kit

It's the cheapest price around and I've looked alot of places.
Petco will take your test kit back. Anytime I've purchased something there that I didn't like I've simply taken it back with the explanation that I felt that it was sub par in performance, not needed, etc. They've always taken back everything I've wanted to exchange, open or not. You may only get a store credit but you still be able to use it for other things.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote