Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #11 
creame172

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissacrowntails View Post
I mean his body's top line, not his dorsal rays, creame :)
sry I am still learning.
What is a body top line? as in not hunch-backed?
creame172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #12 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

It's their back.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #13 
creame172

I went to an older post that mentions the top-line and has an example of a good one, but how is Pans bad? because he is so level/straight looking?
Old 03-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #14 
caissacrowntails

it's okay :), http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=132794
me and mahsfish discussed a bit about top line in the thread above. Have a look :), but of course that's just what I think, others probably have different opinion. Pan's actually not so bad after all, it's just that I myself will avoid to breed him if there's a chance I can get another male. The reason is, from what I saw so far, most CT usually has somewhat "slimmer" body type compared to other tail types, plus their fins are notoriously "hard to keep in good shape", so I think if u add "weird" body line to those..they might look like "weird insects" rather than bettas LOL
caissacrowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #15 
caissacrowntails

Quote:
Originally Posted by creame172 View Post
I went to an older post that mentions the top-line and has an example of a good one, but how is Pans bad? because he is so level/straight looking?
I think his top-line is a bit "bumpy" ( at least from what I saw on his pic, unless it's just the "camera" angle ), well like I said previously, not really that bad, just "could be better". Of course it's up to you in the end. :)
Old 03-24-2013, 10:54 PM   #16 
creame172

Quote:
it's okay :), http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=132794
me and mahsfish discussed a bit about top line in the thread above. Have a look :), but of course that's just what I think, others probably have different opinion. Pan's actually not so bad after all, it's just that I myself will avoid to breed him if there's a chance I can get another male. The reason is, from what I saw so far, most CT usually has somewhat "slimmer" body type compared to other tail types, plus their fins are notoriously "hard to keep in good shape", so I think if u add "weird" body line to those..they might look like "weird insects" rather than bettas LOL
Yeah that's the one I went back and read. It helped a little but how is he weird? Lol I know that is kind of a hard thing to describe. Other than that one crooked ray his pectoral fins ( I think they are called) are a little torn up because I just moved him to a new tank. I'm waiting to see if they heal nicely. Is it just crown tails as a breed you prefer not to breed? Is it the spidery look they can have?
Old 03-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #17 
caissacrowntails

Quote:
Originally Posted by creame172 View Post
Yeah that's the one I went back and read. It helped a little but how is he weird? Lol I know that is kind of a hard thing to describe. Other than that one crooked ray his pectoral fins ( I think they are called) are a little torn up because I just moved him to a new tank. I'm waiting to see if they heal nicely. Is it just crown tails as a breed you prefer not to breed? Is it the spidery look they can have?
On the contrary, I love crowntails the most, I only breed crowntails now :)
Old 03-24-2013, 11:22 PM   #18 
creame172

Quote:
On the contrary, I love crowntails the most, I only breed crowntails now :)
well then you're just the person i should be talking to aren't you! so a bumpy back makes them look buggy?

there is one more thing that i can think of that i am not clear on. If you breed a CT pair do you get all CT's? or will that also depend on how purely their genetics are?
Old 03-24-2013, 11:47 PM   #19 
caissacrowntails

So far, when I bred CT to CT ( even with "unknown" background ), I never found any of the offsprings which was not a CT, although each spawns/individuals may have different "CT traits". If you're into CTs, have a look at this link :
http://www.bettysplendens.com/articl....imp?catid=878
I think it explained pretty much "all the basic things about CTs" :)
Old 03-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #20 
indjo
TFK Moderator

+1 caissa - CT x CT = CT
But ray type of CT depends on their genetics.

I'm not a fan of CT. If you're serious about breeding them, you should read about keeping/maintaining their fins. IMO they are the most fussy of all the splendens.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding, crown tail, genetics, pair