Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2013, 11:32 PM   #1 
bniebetta

Need to rant about this one....

So i got the idea today to contact my local library and give them a proposal of a betta fish awareness event I want to hold. I have been soooo excited since i thought of it and made a comment on facebook about how i hoped they would let me do it. this is the response I got (from a good friend, he was sort of picking on be, but mostly not):

"really? world hunger. global war. rampant illness, continuous misuse of the worlds finances, racism, bigotry, poverty, and now beta fish? not gonna lie. i'm not really seein' it. you wanna cause? do you realize that if (god forbid) your brother gets shot that the Red Cross will make him pay for any blood he recieves as part of his rescue and recovery? lets bring awareness to that! just sayin' =]"

are you kidding me?? I'm sorry that I cant solve every freaking problem in the world and wanted to make a difference in something I am knowledgeable about and that I think is an acuatal (no matter how small) problem. Can't people just UNDERSTAND about bettas already?? also, way to bring back the anxiety that my brother will die in battle. pff.
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:54 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

This attitude annoys me so much. Many people are already focussing on the big problems, and good on them, but it doesn't make the other problems go away. Yes, we should be aware of the Red Cross and world hunger and poverty and human trafficking - it's all awful. But what about the problems at home? Homelessness, debt...and animal abuse? Fish form a massive fraction of abused animals. Here in Australia there are roughly 18.4 million domestic fish, compared to 3.5 million dogs and 2.6 million cats, yet fish form a ridiculously minute proportion of cruelty cases due to total ignorance by the fish-owning population (and everyone else). I don't see how helping people to care for their animals could not be a worthy cause.

A lot of people use the "Pfft, if we are going to start caring about fish, we may as well start caring about microbes, too!" It's a load of nonsense and it really hacks me off.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:05 AM   #3 
bniebetta

Seriously though! that's my point. Its like what do you want me to do?? fix every single problem the world has and THEN educated people about animal care? yeah, that's a good idea. thanks for reading my rant, it just made me soooo angry.
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:12 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Aww, I'm sorry! I like your betta awareness idea. It's a shame other people don't understand what you want to do.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:08 AM   #5 
percyfyshshelley

He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
"A man is ethical only when life, as such, is sacred to him, that of plants and animals as well as that of his fellowman, and when he devotes himself helpfully to all life that is in need of help." - Dr. Albert Schweitzer
And my favorite--
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Gandhi

By helping animals we are helping to promote compassion in general, we are helping the world and the people in it. Good luck to you, and I hope your brother stays safe.
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:24 AM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

@bniebetta - But... are they going to let you hold the event? Some people believe in causes that I don't feel are important. But if the cause is important to YOU, then that's what matters.

@Bombalurina - But... microbes ARE important!

@percyfyshshelley - Excellent quotes! If bniebetta hasn't already gotten permission to hold the event, those quotes could be helpful in getting them to OK the event.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:18 AM   #7 
Bombalurina

Microbes may well be important, but I won't hold a rally for their protection, if it's all the same to you, Fishlet. :p
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:16 AM   #8 
Polkadot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniebetta View Post

are you kidding me?? I'm sorry that I cant solve every freaking problem in the world and wanted to make a difference in something I am knowledgeable about and that I think is an acuatal (no matter how small) problem. Can't people just UNDERSTAND about bettas already??
Well said.Don't let anyone upset or belittle what you want to do.Animal Welfare (of any kind) is an extremely important cause.Good on you!
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #9 
registereduser

Where else can you have the event? Is there any kind of fair coming up in your area? You might have to pay money for a spot but you can set up a tent and schmooze with people all day long at a craft fair or farmer's market
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #10 
Jexx

what kind of friend is this? who says those things? the only appropriate response from a friend would be encouragement if they like your idea or silence if they don't. No need to belittle you. And what benefit is it to them to bring your brother into it like that? Obviously he is a soldier, fighting for a cause, what disrespect to use his name in order to make your cause seem smaller. No good friend would intentionally do that. I am so sorry that was the response you received. I think your idea is wonderful. Even bettas are part of this world and trying to save one small part of the world is equal to trying to save the world for the world is not the world without all of its parts. I wish your brother safety!
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote