Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-20-2008, 08:43 AM   #1 
Orchidlover

Betta Food

Just got my betta last weekend and I have him in a 3 gallon Eclipse System 3. I purchased the Tetra-Min Flake food and the Top Fin Color Enhancing Betta Bits to see which he would prefer. My little guy doesn't seem to be a great fan of either of them. I have been soaking the bits in a teaspoon of his tank water before offering them to him. He takes the bits in his mouth and spits them back out. Pretty much does the same when I offer the flakes.

I have been reading on the forum that a lot of you like the Hikari Bio-Gold Betta Pellets. Is there really a difference? I'm also going to my local pet store today to purchase the freeze dried bloodworms or brine shrimp (whatever they have) to give him twice a week as a treat. Any other suggestions?

I have learned more from this forum -- it's great! Some pet stores, Petsmart and Petco tell everyone the betta lives in puddles in Thailand, can live in a small bowl, at room temp, yadda . . . yadda . . . yadda! It's the wonder any of these little guys survive there!

Thanks for any help!
Orchidlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:59 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I use the Hikari Betta bio gold and I like them better because they float. I started out feeding my first betta TopFin betta bits and they always sank to the bottom before my fish had the chance to eat them. I wouldn't be too concerned right now if your fish isn't eating as long as he's otherwise active and healthy. I've heard a lot of people say that their fish won't eat the first week or so. They are still getting used to their new environment. Keep trying the different foods you have and eventually he'll eat. Hope that helps. Good luck!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:29 PM   #3 
iamntbatman

Bettas can also be pretty darn picky fish. However, a good pellet food (or flake, although sometimes it's impossible to get bettas to really accept flake) should be your staple. Resist the temptation to feed him bloodworms or brine shrimp as anything other than a treat as this will spoil him and those foods aren't nutritionally balanced like the pellets are. Eventually, he'll get hungry enough to eat the pellets anyway even if he doesn't like them at first.

The Hikari pellets are better for your fish than the Top Fin ones. Higher quality ingredients make all the difference. I keep some of the Top Fin ones around just because they're a lot smaller than the Hikari ones and are easier to feed to smaller fish.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:35 PM   #4 
Orchidlover

Thank you one and all! I purchased the Hikari pellets this afternoon and will try them this evening. I also purchased blood worms and freeze dried brine shrimp. However, I think I will get him to accept the pellets before he gets to have his twice a week treats.
Orchidlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:47 AM   #5 
iamntbatman

Good idea. Also, you'll want to be sure to rehydrate any freeze dried food in some tank water for around 15 minutes before feeding it to your fish.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote