Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2013, 04:54 AM   #1 
Starchild21

Question Hospital tanks.

I was wondering if I could use a critter keeper as a hospital tank, it will have a heater and filter but I'm worried about it being made of plastic? I can get an attachable light for it and I've read that it dosen't have to be all fancy and stuff I was just worried about plastic?
Does anyone else use critter keepers as hospitals? If so please let me know, thank you
This is what it looks like:

Would something like this be better?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Small-fis...=1#ht_561wt_80
Starchild21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #2 
shellieca

People use them all the time for Bettas. I have a 1g tank thats plastic I use for a hospital tank. You just have to be careful what you wipe it down with to avoid scratches. I don't bother with a filter for anything under 5g & that's temporary because then its in a constant cycle unless you use filter media from a cycled tank.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

I use 3 gallon critter keepers as my regular tanks. A lot of tanks are made of acrylic. They're fine. I like them because they're lightweight. And critter keepers provide lots of horizontal (rather than vertical) swimming space, which is perfect for bettas.

Heaters aren't an issue. Our body temp is 97.6F (37C), and we don't melt plastic (acrylic) when we hold it. So using a heater that brings water temp to about 79F (28C) is going to cause a problem, either.

IMO, the only downside to acrylic tanks is they can get scratched easily. And if handed roughly, they can crack.

In terms of using one as a hospital tank, they're fine. Bettas are often calmer in darkened conditions, so I wouldn't bother with a light. And many medications require that filters not be used, since filters would absorb the meds....

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 03-24-2013 at 09:12 AM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #4 
Starchild21

Thank you so much :)
Starchild21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:48 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

Hey, I use them for perment homes
No worries about the heater melting the plastic. Heaters also won't melt storage bin plastic. The downside is, they do scratch pretty easily.

I ended up moving my 10G and using 2 of the larger ones of these because the 10G was too tall - I could barely get a spihon in the tank due to the shelf above it.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote