Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #1 
itsuki

is it supposed to smell this bad??

I bought some miracle gro organic potters mix and put it in a 5 gallon bucket with some water in it and let it sit. I read it was best to it let sit for a few wks before introducing plants and fish. Its been maybe 2 weeks and I checked on it yesterday by hand mixing the soil and it let out a massive gag inducing smell. The smell is a cross between a baby diaper and rotting garage, is this supposed to be normal?
itsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Well if there's no water movement the water could get stagnant which would then smell. Do you have a filter or anything on it? Think of a pond, there's no fresh water coming into it, nothing moving the water around. At least that's my thought, I could be wrong.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:02 AM   #3 
marktrc

i used that soil in mine. i did not presoak it. i dont know if that was a problem or not for me. i had alot of algae growth and a bad sulfur/rotten egg smell from my planted tank when the gas was released from under the sand cap. i had to burp the soil to release the gas. eventually enough plants started growing and now there is alot less gas being released and the smell is pretty much gone.
marktrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:25 AM   #4 
itsuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktrc View Post
i used that soil in mine. i did not presoak it. i dont know if that was a problem or not for me. i had alot of algae growth and a bad sulfur/rotten egg smell from my planted tank when the gas was released from under the sand cap. i had to burp the soil to release the gas. eventually enough plants started growing and now there is alot less gas being released and the smell is pretty much gone.
i mixed it around earlier today too, hopefully it will dissipate over the next few days and then i will buy my 20 long for it. of course if it still smells bad, i will let it sit in the garage til week six til i start planting, definately do not want that in the bedroom sinkin up the place :P
itsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:00 AM   #5 
Nothingness

the smell is just the gas released from the organic matter breaking down. when u have your tank set up you will have to manually poke into the soil with choosticks ornsomethibg to release these gas pockets. if you dont you will get a big bubble releasing on its own which can be lethal to the fish as well as make a big mess. you can also out trumpet snails in the tank which burrownin the soil and release the gas for you. I suggest the snails.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #6 
jstn

Yes. That smell is why you are soaking your dirt first
jstn is offline   Reply With Quote