Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #21 
caissacrowntails

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
+1 caissa - CT x CT = CT
But ray type of CT depends on their genetics.

I'm not a fan of CT. If you're serious about breeding them, you should read about keeping/maintaining their fins. IMO they are the most fussy of all the splendens.
True, Indjo. But like some show/contest "big players" in our country said, winning Grand Champion / Best Of Show with a crowntail, will give you different "feeling" and pride LOL.
caissacrowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #22 
creame172

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissacrowntails View Post
So far, when I bred CT to CT ( even with "unknown" background ), I never found any of the offsprings which was not a CT, although each spawns/individuals may have different "CT traits". If you're into CTs, have a look at this link :
http://www.bettysplendens.com/articl....imp?catid=878
I think it explained pretty much "all the basic things about CTs" :)
That helped a ton! so because to be crowntail they are Homo for the gene, i will get nothing but crowntails from a male and female who are both crowntails. ive been using that site a lot lately. ive bookmarked it on my laptop.
creame172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #23 
creame172

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
+1 caissa - CT x CT = CT
But ray type of CT depends on their genetics.

I'm not a fan of CT. If you're serious about breeding them, you should read about keeping/maintaining their fins. IMO they are the most fussy of all the splendens.
yeah i am finding that out. One of pan's rays is already bent, which i mentioned before, and his pectorals are damaged right now too. I am hoping he will heal back up after he has settled into his new tank. it has a filter on it, but it is on very low so there is not a lot of water movement.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #24 
creame172

a lot of my questions have been answered and i am starting to get the hang of this but i am unclear on one more thing; i dont know what to expect out of Sassy because im not clear on what she is.
Sassy is according to one article technically closer genotypically and phenotypically to a marble or pastel than she is to Cambodian. so will i see more cambodians or something closer to marbles? she has red on her tail so doesnt that exclude her from the possibility of pastels since pastels are non-red? i guess, i am asking if that makes her technically a marble, and if she will genetically act like a marble.

let me know if i am wrong, but from what i understand, Panic is spread iridescence because he is copper, right?
and Sassy looks spread iridescent to me from what i have read about it, or am i wrong?
Old 03-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #25 
caissacrowntails

Of course there's a possibility that sassy is a marble ( can't tell for sure, since we know nothing about her genetic background ), but from her pics u posted, she looks more like a young cambodian to me, not the "original" cambodian with flesh colored body and red fins. I had some with colors like her..but usually as they grew, their true color will gradually appear. I think she will grow more colors, especially red on her fins perhaps.
I think..u're trying to figure out what colors will their offsprings be if u breed them? if so..here's my guess (based on phenotype), dark bodied, red fins, iridescent ( most will be green/turquoise-red perhaps ), carry metallic gene. If later u inbreed the male offspring to sassy, u will have some "metallic cambodian", if u inbreed the female offspring to panic, u will have dark bodied, with spread iridescent..probably most will be turquoise-red, possibly with "mask". Just my 2 cents though :)

Last edited by caissacrowntails; 03-25-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #26 
creame172

Quote:
Of course there's a possibility that sassy is a marble ( can't tell for sure, since we know nothing about her genetic background ), but from her pics u posted, she looks more like a young cambodian to me, not the "original" cambodian with flesh colored body and red fins. I had some with colors like her..but usually as they grew, their true color will gradually appear. I think she will grow more colors, especially red on her fins perhaps.
I think..u're trying to figure out what colors will their offsprings be if u breed them? if so..here's my guess (based on phenotype), dark bodied, red fins, iridescent ( most will be green/turquoise-red perhaps ), carry metallic gene. If later u inbreed the male offspring to sassy, u will have some "metallic cambodian", if u inbreed the female offspring to panic, u will have dark bodied, with spread iridescent..probably most will be turquoise-red, possibly with "mask". Just my 2 cents though :)
yeah i am trying to figure out what colors their fry might be. so i am basically looking at no coppers, right? or i will have to breed brother/sister to get the two matallics and then find a steel blue to breed to that before i would get copper. i think.
lol if i paid you two cents for your every two cents i might go broke. do you think (color-wise) they are worth breeding?
Old 03-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #27 
caissacrowntails

do I think they are worth breeding..depends on what you're looking for..if u're looking for "surprise", I think they are. cos there's no way to tell how exactly all those color genes will "react". take red for example...red x red ( red is dominant )..then it's gonna be 100% red, right? well yes, in theory..but sometimes...u can have butterflies, yellows, maybe even oranges ( not many of them of course, most will still be reds ). But if cooper is your goal..then I think it's not worth the time, effort and money, it's much faster, easier and cheaper to buy a cooper female ct and breed her to panic :)
Old 03-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #28 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Sassy is a red cambodian x irid result. Not sure what generation, how true her genes are, etc. She doesn't look like marble to me. Just a regular . . . what we call "maskot"

Panic (coper) x irid multi cambodian = probability: irids, mainly turquoise some might be metallic, very few multi copper (highly dependent on how strong the copper genes are), irid multi cambodian (probably more irid on body and or fins), pastel like colors, cellophane.

IMO the question isn't whether they are breed worthy or not but what your goals are. Personally I would also consider improving fin spread at the same time as attempting color.

Last edited by indjo; 03-25-2013 at 03:16 PM.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #29 
creame172

Quote:
do I think they are worth breeding..depends on what you're looking for..if u're looking for "surprise", I think they are. cos there's no way to tell how exactly all those color genes will "react". take red for example...red x red ( red is dominant )..then it's gonna be 100% red, right? well yes, in theory..but sometimes...u can have butterflies, yellows, maybe even oranges ( not many of them of course, most will still be reds ). But if cooper is your goal..then I think it's not worth the time, effort and money, it's much faster, easier and cheaper to buy a cooper female ct and breed her to panic :)
well Pan's copper was a surprise, i am looking for surprise in the fry as well. i think Pan and Sassy are both pretty and am curious to see what will happen. buying two coppers to get copper is kind of cheating, you know? i want to take the scenic route to something unexpected and great.
i know im not going to get show quality, or even something that will be incredibly beautiful or interesting, i just want something i can appreciate and perhaps others will appreciate it too. :) they are my babies i will love them even if they are hideous. but hopefully they will not be so hideous that no one will want any of them because i cant take care of all of them their whole lives!
Old 03-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #30 
caissacrowntails

Quote:
Originally Posted by creame172 View Post
well Pan's copper was a surprise, i am looking for surprise in the fry as well. i think Pan and Sassy are both pretty and am curious to see what will happen. buying two coppers to get copper is kind of cheating, you know? i want to take the scenic route to something unexpected and great.
i know im not going to get show quality, or even something that will be incredibly beautiful or interesting, i just want something i can appreciate and perhaps others will appreciate it too. :) they are my babies i will love them even if they are hideous. but hopefully they will not be so hideous that no one will want any of them because i cant take care of all of them their whole lives!
Ah IC, same like old time me (as a matter of fact, I'm still like that, just prefer a bit different route LOL). I mean your way of thinking, that's what actually "drag" me to betta breeding, curiousity. Wanted to know what can I "produce" with what I have. Well, if u're willing to spend (time, efforts, money) then I think it's interesting to try it :)

Tags
breeding, crown tail, genetics, pair