Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
What is the argument on carbon?

It seems like a lot of people don't use carbon in their filters, myself included, and I just wanted to know why carbon users do use it. Thanks!
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #2 
tekkguy
Member
 
tekkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
A better question would be ... why don't you? :) You may answer your own question about why other people do.

I don't bother with it unless I need to remove something from the water - but all of my tanks are planted, so there is usually little need of that. I never medicate into the planted tank (fingers crossed I don't end up with ich or velvet that I have to medicate the whole tank for!), so I never need to remove medications.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #3 
registereduser
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
If it comes in the filter media I don't replace it when it gets old. It just becomes another way to grow BB.

If you are using meds in a filtered tank fresh carbon can remove it from the water. I'm not sure about ferts added to the water.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #4 
tekkguy
Member
 
tekkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
If it comes in the filter media I don't replace it when it gets old. It just becomes another way to grow BB.

If you are using meds in a filtered tank fresh carbon can remove it from the water. I'm not sure about ferts added to the water.
There is a huge debate about whether ferts are removed by carbon. Some say they aren't, others say they are. I think a lot of planted tank people just err on the side of caution. I don't see a difference with or without it myself ... I just prefer media that doesn't have to be replaced so frequently, since carbon can become "overloaded" and leech stuff back into the tank that it's supposedly removed.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #5 
finnfinnfriend
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
A better question would be ... why don't you? :) You may answer your own question about why other people do.

I don't bother with it unless I need to remove something from the water - but all of my tanks are planted, so there is usually little need of that. I never medicate into the planted tank (fingers crossed I don't end up with ich or velvet that I have to medicate the whole tank for!), so I never need to remove medications.
Well I don't use it because my betta seems to do well without it :) all I care about with filtration in a betta tank is BB. That's why I use a mini sponge filter ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
If it comes in the filter media I don't replace it when it gets old. It just becomes another way to grow BB.

If you are using meds in a filtered tank fresh carbon can remove it from the water. I'm not sure about ferts added to the water.
The removing meds thing makes sense, but can't one just do a couple extra water changes to get rid of it? And I thought carbon can leach harmful things into the water if left in the filter too long, or is that just a myth?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #6 
registereduser
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post



The removing meds thing makes sense, but can't one just do a couple extra water changes to get rid of it? And I thought carbon can leach harmful things into the water if left in the filter too long, or is that just a myth?
Well it takes the meds out instead of giving them time to work.

I never heard of the leeching thing, I need to look that up, thanks!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #7 
registereduser
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
This About.com article was helpful Apparently you want to be sure to use phosphate free carbon only.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #8 
Stone
Member
 
Stone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
A better question would be ... why don't you? :) You may answer your own question about why other people do.

I don't bother with it unless I need to remove something from the water - but all of my tanks are planted, so there is usually little need of that. I never medicate into the planted tank (fingers crossed I don't end up with ich or velvet that I have to medicate the whole tank for!), so I never need to remove medications.
I have found this product for treatment/preventative of fish illness that is safe for everything, I recently had an ich breakout from some plants I bought, I had never thought about plants carrying ich, but they can all it takes is a few cysts on the plants, anyways I have more kinds of fish besides bettas and yeah the nightmare of which meds work and are safe for which kinds of fish is a nightmare, but anyways I found this product and it is safe for all fish plants and inverts and it actually works....http://www.aquariumconnection.com/detail.php?ID=40758
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #9 
finnfinnfriend
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
This About.com article was helpful Apparently you want to be sure to use phosphate free carbon only.
Thank you for thr article!

I was worried that new equipment would have chemicals on it and that I should use carbon for the first few days of a new setup, but if you rinse everything out well enough, it should be fine without carbon at all, right?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #10 
tekkguy
Member
 
tekkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
I have found this product for treatment/preventative of fish illness that is safe for everything, I recently had an ich breakout from some plants I bought, I had never thought about plants carrying ich, but they can all it takes is a few cysts on the plants, anyways I have more kinds of fish besides bettas and yeah the nightmare of which meds work and are safe for which kinds of fish is a nightmare, but anyways I found this product and it is safe for all fish plants and inverts and it actually works....http://www.aquariumconnection.com/detail.php?ID=40758
Yeah ... sorry, but I do not believe in "preventative" medications. The best prevention is a proper setup and quarantine procedures. This product suggests you just add it frequently to the tank - weekly? And they don't even tell you what's in it. I just can't advise adding anything to the tank without knowing what it is or why you need it. Chemicals for the sake of chemicals aren't good ... and anything where they don't publish the ingredients is gimmicky in my opinion. Honestly, that Fishkeeper stuff doesn't sound like it would be any more beneficial than having oak leaves or IAL in the tank, both of which have the same properties this product claims to have. And at least with oak or IAL, I know what I'm subjecting my fish to.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Had an argument caljamsam Betta Fish Care 50 01-01-2013 07:15 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.