Betta Fish Forum banner

tank, filter, heater etc.

2K views 34 replies 8 participants last post by  Flashygrrl 
#1 ·
Hi,

when I made my first posts here I said, I would think about switching to tanks, if I had the feeling, that the girls were not doing well. I would say, that is the case now. Dali's fins are not looking good and it's getting too cold. I'm heating the whole house now to keep the fish warm, while we are sitting here in T-shirts...

So, after reading the threads (the older and newer ones), I looked up the following equipment and I would like to ask you, if these things would go well together and if there is anything else, I forgot. I would love to not have to exchange a lot of things, because I did that with 50% of the things for the bowls already, that's why I'm asking..... So, here it comes:

Tank:

I found 2. Do you know, if I can reach in the tank or if the cover is easy removable? Are the light bulbs ok or are they too close to the water and are they getting too hot?

Aquarium Starter Kits: MiniBow 2.5 Starter Aquarium Kit

all-glass, bright colors, with whisper filter 3 stage filtration, light bulb 15 watt $27,19

or

All-Glass Aquarium Mini-Bow 2.5 Gallon Acrylic Aquarium Kit at PETCO

all-glass, black, air pump, undergravel filter, 15 watt lamp $15.99

Filter:

If the undergravel filter is not too great, I could buy this filter instead:

Tetra Whisper 3i In-Tank Filter - Filtration & Circulation - Fish - PetSmart

$11.99
Would that be a good filter? Is that maybe the same one that comes with the first tank?
They also sell the filter cartridge.

Heater:

I found 2, because I read in some threads, that 10 watt heater would be ok, others said 25 watt would be good. Would they fit in the tank, do they have a thermostat (I'm not sure, if I understood the description well), any other ideas?

Aquarium Heaters: Hydor Theo Heater

25 watt 14,39

or would this one be better:

Aquarium Heaters & Temperature Control: Marineland Shatterproof Heater

10 watt $19.99

Thermometer:

Hagen Thermometers
$2.39

Test kit:

Aquarium Water Testing: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit
API $21.99

Cleaning:

What would be a good way to clean a 2,5 gal tank and what would I need for that?

I use the top fin betta water conditioner and spring water.

decoration:

I would get more stones and plants. I actually find it difficult to find good silk plants in the stores.

cycle:

I'll read the aquarium cycle info, when I have everything, but I guess, I'll still have to get back to you for that..........

Anything else I need to do?
Thanks for your help, it's a long post again, I know....!

See less See more
#33 ·
hi
I did a complete water test today and it was odd. The Nitrite and Nitrate were fine at "0" but the ammonia was .25 or a bit lower and the pH was 7.5. m This after a 50% water change Sat. I dont know how one little Betta can create so much ammonia so fast? There are no live plants in the tank, I watch to make sure he eats the pellets fed, (about 1 pellet 2-3 Maybe I am feeding my Betta too much but he still looks thin. His fins are growing back I think.
Is pH 7.5 too high? I read one place it was ok but another said neutral 7 was good.
Hope i'm not driving everyone here crazy with these
questions, sorry.
Guess another partial water change is due Tuesdau, maybe just 25% this time

Thanks
Arlie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.