Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2008, 05:48 PM   #1 
s72450

Bettas and Noise

One of my betta tanks, a 6.6g is housed in my living room on a shelf that holds DVDs. I recently got a regular sized entertainment center and was going to sit Aries tank on that, but wanted to make sure that the noise wouldn't bother him.

I have a small 19inch television that goes inside the entertainment center that is built for a much larger tv. The volumne is never up very loud and in fact I hardly watch it, but if this is going to effect him then I don't want to do it.

I thought I'd ask if anyone here has experience with this.
s72450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 06:36 PM   #2 
Kim

I really don't have any experience with this, so I can't tell you for sure. It is a fact however, that sound travels better through liquids and solids than gasses. So, being that close to a sound source may freak him out.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:06 PM   #3 
paws

No I not do that at all. I keep all of my tanks in my room where the only noise they will hear is snoring! I would keep him where he is.
paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:44 AM   #4 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Ever heard of Mozart's classical records allowing the fish to grow rather rapidly?;) Strangely absurd but the experiment conducted seemed to have its merits. It will be fine if the volume is not too loud. Soft music (not loud) is fine but rock music at a high volume will certainly disturb the fish a lot.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:00 AM   #5 

Lupin,
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:51 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Rock music at a high volume disturbs me too! Haa
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:00 PM   #7 
s72450

Well there is certainly no loud music, but this brings up an interesting point, I have my 10g betta female tank as well as a 5.5g Hex tank for one of my male bettas in my bedroom. I also have the computer in the room and while it's not loud, it is in the room, I hope the sound from it isn't affecting my fish.
s72450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:57 AM   #8 
iamntbatman

Loud rock music soothes my soul.

I wouldn't worry about the actual loudness of the TV, but rather the vibrations being conducted through the entertainment center. So long as you don't have the TV cranked up, if you put the tank on top of a thin piece of foam rubber to absorb the vibrations I think it would be just fine.

I have a lot of fish in a room where I listen to stuff like grime, doom metal and noise rock at blistering volumes but none of the tanks are in contact with any surface that also touches the speakers so I'm not too worried. The fish don't even react when I turn the music on, so that's a good sign.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:01 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Lets put it this way lest I offend anyone, SOME loud rock music at high volume disturbs me. Haa
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:24 PM   #10 
GuppyColorMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
Ever heard of Mozart's classical records allowing the fish to grow rather rapidly?;) Strangely absurd but the experiment conducted seemed to have its merits. It will be fine if the volume is not too loud. Soft music (not loud) is fine but rock music at a high volume will certainly disturb the fish a lot.
Haha, I'd agree. My betta is right on my dresser in a little half gallon bowl (by x-mas she'll be in a 1.5gal with a heater) and I go to sleep with Classical QED 89-3. I constantly se eher swimming match the tempo of the music with her breathing and swimming. Its accually kind of amusing to me.
GuppyColorMaker is offline   Reply With Quote