Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #1 
mergan25

Help! My Betta is sinking!

I had started another thread entitled "New Betta- ammonia poisoning?" about the small Female VT betta that I purchased at Petco a few days ago who was not in great condition. She has not been getting better and I just noticed some alarming behavior. She was trying to swim up to the surface to get air but she kept sinking back down. I know this isn't good but anyone have any thoughts?

To recap: I bought this small betta (Miss Piggy) from Petco- I felt bad because she could barely swim, her spine was all crooked. I set up a little home for her and within in a couple days she straightened out and swimming wasn't a problem. The problem was that she developed ammonia poisoning right away. This is why I originally posted a thread. From what I've gathered she has this problem because I didn't acclimate the water. I didn't know about acclimating, I thought I just had to get her into clean water right away. So I guess this is why the effects of ammonia poisoning suddenly showed up?

I've been keeping her in warm clean water, at first with a little bit of epsom salts, trying to feed her but she doesn't eat. I change the water daily. I've tested and there's consistently no ammonia in the water. However I did just test for PH for the first time and discovered that her water is very alkaline. Could this cause serious health problems at all? The PH is over 7.6 for sure- that's the highest the test goes.

Anyway, sorry this is so long winded. I'm just so worried by seeing her trying to swim, but sink. Any advice or thoughts on what I could be doing right or wrong is appreciated.

oh- I'm going to do a partial water change soon with water that is more acidic. I mixed filtered water with tap to lower the PH.
mergan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:05 AM   #2 
mergan25

Nevermind. That was it. :(
Old 03-26-2013, 12:06 AM   #3 
jadaBlu

If you feel it's serious enough either put her in a small shallower container and inside the heated aquarium (make sure the container stable and can't end up covering her in water) or if you can safely reduce the water level in the aquarium without the heater being too hot you could do that. She should have enough water to cover her fins but surface easily.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:14 AM   #4 
mergan25

Thank you for your advice! Unfortunately I no longer need it. :/