Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #141 
Myates

Cool :) Do be careful with that many fish in a 6g.. a couple would fit, but 5 you generally need a few more gallons. The bio load would be big, but you can do extra water changes.. what you have to be mindful of is the space itself. Sometimes fish can feel "trapped" in smaller tanks, and will become stressful, die and/or become aggressive due to it. I have the bookshelf aquarium right next to me, and with the size an adult female betta gets to be (mine are larger than adult males who are older than them).. you would only want to put 3 at the very most in that size of a tank. The females do get large and are more mobile than males.. they aren't territorial and don't set up territories such as a male.. they are nomads and wander around. So placing that many in a small confined space you are asking for trouble.

Not trying to discourage, but if you want 5 girls you will need to get at least a 10g.. and I wouldn't place more than 5-6 girls in that even.

So space is going to be the issue with you.. the girls will be small when you get them, but they will grow big, and they will kill off a few girls so they don't feel cramped/trapped.

This was my bookshelf aquarium divided 3 ways (no longer divided x3).. as you can see, it's just enough room for them.. so having 5 girls loose together in the tight quarters (it's rather short front-back) is not a great idea.
Attached Images

Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #142 
Alcemistnv

ahhh well I mean, even with just 3 girls, I'd be okay with it :)

I'm hoping to bring my 10 gallon back with me, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen, so he 6.6 gallon is all I can use, and it will be a step up from the 5 gal I have the 2 girls in right now.

If I can get the 10 gallon, then I will do 5 :)
But I guess 3 might be the best for now ^^
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #143 
Xaltd1

Those look like glass dividers! How did you do it?
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #144 
Alcemistnv

Those look like they might be the mesh sheet dividers C:
Old 03-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #145 
Myates

Those were the ones you get at Petsmart.. hated them.. the tank is now divided 2x instead and using plastic crafting mesh as they don't try to curl up.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #146 
Alcemistnv

I use the mesh I got from AC Moore and got the binder covers from CVS.

All in all, it works out rather well and if you ouble it, the fish can barely see each other.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #147 
Xaltd1

Those "tank dividers" you get @ Petcosmart are HORRIBLE! They keep spoinging into a roll. They wouldn't keep 2 baby guppies apart, let alone determined bettas!
This board needs a product "thumbs up" & "thumbs down" thread. It would save new bettas owners $$$! I mean, how much worthless junk have we bought only to throw it away b/c the receipt expired/disappeared? (P.S. there is a receipt-stealing elf roaming the planet!!!)
Old 03-25-2013, 08:10 PM   #148 
Alcemistnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaltd1 View Post
Those "tank dividers" you get @ Petcosmart are HORRIBLE! They keep spoinging into a roll. They wouldn't keep 2 baby guppies apart, let alone determined bettas!
This board needs a product "thumbs up" & "thumbs down" thread. It would save new bettas owners $$$! I mean, how much worthless junk have we bought only to throw it away b/c the receipt expired/disappeared? (P.S. there is a receipt-stealing elf roaming the planet!!!)
BEST idea ever!!!! :D
Old 03-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #149 
Xaltd1

Do I have to be a senior-super moderator to start one? Do I have to get their permission?
Old 03-26-2013, 12:27 AM   #150 
Alcemistnv

to start a thread?
I'm sure you can be a regular user.