Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #21 
Otterfun

I am also concerned about the red dot on the "nose" of the betta, definitely ES + Maracyn + Maracyn II which cured mine of the red dots on the nose and dropsy.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #22 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
I am also concerned about the red dot on the "nose" of the betta, definitely ES + Maracyn + Maracyn II which cured mine of the red dots on the nose and dropsy.
The red dots is her skin pigments, the only one that actually considers me is the one that was on top of her head, but there are no unnatural red dots on her nose, at least from what I can see. And I finally got Epsom salt! Going to be using that soon :D
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #23 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
It ok if you using just Maracyn if you can i would still do daily water changes along with meds and redosing.
Maracyn plus is very good medication for bacterial infection. Just now you don't need to use it since you already using another one.
He can't stay straight you saying, and he is not really bloated i would fast him like you saying you did today. See if he will get better. If he get better then it good you can start feeding him tomorrow but start with a little bit of food. Not sure how much you usually feeding him? Don't give him freeze dried blood worms or flakes. Also if you can find frozen dapinia in the store it also good when betta constipated. If he is not better then you can use Epsom salt.

About water changes if you will try to do 100% every 2 weeks then do 2 or even 3 -50% water changes a week and vacuum the gravel to remove all debris out.

About bettafix yes it very bad for betta labyrinth organs because it has tea tree oil in it and can suffocate them. The any medicine with ''fix'' has TTO that can coat the labyrinth which can block them taking in air from surface.

Also you saying that you was afraid to use aq salt once with medications and used Epsom salt instead
I just want to give you an example under which conditions you can use both salts treatment. Well it always also depend on each case and more symptoms to decide which one you need to use.
Aquarium salt for injuries,wounds,external parasite, fin damage/rot(not plant tolerant)
Epsom salt for buoyancy issues,swim bladder problem, constipation, pop eye, dropsy...

Both have a antibacterial/fungal effect
Both you can use in doses of 1tsp/gall up to 3 tsp/gall depending on what /why you treating . Also usually you need to make daily 100% water changes.
Aquarium salt you can use 10 days up to 14 days in some cases - NO linger than that
Epsom salt is very mild and you can use it long term and in some cases like chronic constipation you can use it in low doses indefinitely.
Both always pre mix first and make sure it dissolved .
Just to say (and NOT to be rude! I promise I'm saying this nicely! lol) she is a girl not a boy. She's one of my two big eared girls :) and she does have eggs

I will continue to do a 20-25% water change along with her medication for the next 3 days until the treatment is over. I also don't have Maracyn Plus on hand so I would have to wait anyway before I would have it.
And She was swimming fine after a while, I think I just over fed her and should have just given her a break instead of feeding her again the next day. But she seems to be swimming a lot better now :) I also never ever give my bettas freeze dried food or flakes. I only give them New Life Spectrum, Omega 3 pellets, and frozen bloodworms (unfortunately here there aren't a lot of frozen or live food choices so Bloodworms are all they have).

I know that their ammonia levels do not get too high so I feel like 2-3 times a week of 50% water changes is too much. I could go 4 days (or more depending on if I was out of town) without changing the water from my previous bettas (who were boys) and they were fine. I do test the water so of course the first sign of ammonia would make me jump to change it. Of course that's normally (without a sick betta).

I know how bettafix effects the bettas and also what AQ salt does. I had been mislead at first and had been told that it was great to just add in the water to help fish breath. Of course no one told me to not add the FULL amount that was allowed and I was then informed. But I wasn't as informed about Epsom salt.

I finally did get it though and I'll wait to use it until after my treatment with Maracyn Two :)

And I also know to premix, don't worry I'm not a total newbie at this :P just never had a betta actually develop pop eye from being completely healthy. I've only ever handled bettas who already had it.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #24 
ANHEL123

Lol i know sometimes i give to much details, believe it or not i saw so many post where people just don't realized what you can or can not to do. And it not their fault,but outcome is sad.
And you saying that they can go 4 days without water change i agree. For my 2.5 gall i do sometimes 100% water changes about every 5 -6 days, but then i do full water change though.
Give us update how she doing:)
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #25 
Roemgie

Quote:
Lol i know sometimes i give to much details, believe it or not i saw so many post where people just don't realized what you can or can not to do. And it not their fault,but outcome is sad.
And you saying that they can go 4 days without water change i agree. For my 2.5 gall i do sometimes 100% water changes about every 5 -6 days, but then i do full water change though.
Give us update how she doing:)
Oh trust me I didn't mean any of that in a bad way! I would prefer you to give over the top than not enough! I was just reassuring you that Opal is in pretty good hands lol
I don't know why that lady would push for it but she really said that she would do 3 weeks of 20 or 50% water changes and would do 100% once a month...I argued with her (not meanly but just asking about ammonia and what not) and she said her bettas were fine. So who knows, I was going to go by what they seem most comfortable with

And she's doing good today :) this morning she seemed a little side ways but not a lot and now she's swimming around normally! Her eye is still cloudy but hasn't expanded anymore so I'm hoping she's on the road to recovery! I did a 50% water change today and accidentally had too much water so I had to take almost a cup and a half out -_- i hope she got enough medication (I let the water sit for a minute in her little tank before taking it out)!
Old 03-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #26 
ANHEL123

How she doing? I looked at the pictures again and i don't think she has pop eye and if she is not swimming side ways , and if she otherwise acting healthy i would not even give her salt. Just keep water super clean and keep eye on her.
I just texted Sakura8 about your betta. I think if she is not swimming side ways and don't have pop eye, just cloudy eye then usually aquarium salt is recommended. The reason i wrote Epsom salt because it would good for pop eye and for constipation or for swim bladder problem.

I will let you know what Sakura's advice ,she is really knowledgeable :)
Old 03-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #27 
Roemgie

Quote:
How she doing? I looked at the pictures again and i don't think she has pop eye and if she is not swimming side ways , and if she otherwise acting healthy i would not even give her salt. Just keep water super clean and keep eye on her.
I just texted Sakura8 about your betta. I think if she is not swimming side ways and don't have pop eye, just cloudy eye then usually aquarium salt is recommended. The reason i wrote Epsom salt because it would good for pop eye and for constipation or for swim bladder problem.

I will let you know what Sakura's advice ,she is really knowledgeable :)
She is doing better :) yesterday though (I didn't think I fed her too much at all, just about 3-4 pellets of the New Life Spectrum) and she was swimming a little sideways. Honestly when I've noticed her off balance she's never been fully sideways but she's not exactly straight either.

Saturday was the last day for the medication so yesterday I do about a 75% water change (I didn't want to stress her out with cupping her until today). Today I'm going to do 100% and make sure to clean everything of hers.

Her eye is still cloudy and still more puffy than the other one. It never got bigger (thank goodness!) but it doesn't seem to really have gone down. I'll make sure to keep her water really clean and I'll do a 50% water change every day and Thursday I can do a 100% and see what happens. Should I be using aquarium salt then or Epsom salt?
And how much per gallon (since she's in a 2.5 I might only put in the amount for 1.5-2 gallons just so I don't over do it).
Old 03-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #28 
ANHEL123

Still cloudy eye , still puffy, and still swimming a little sideways go ahead and use Epsom salt on her.
For Epsom( unscented) salt don't worry it very mild and should not stress her out. Use 2 tsp/gall . It can be up to 3tsp/gall. So don't worry to over do it. And also it can be used long term.
Also try may be spleat those pellets two times a day. One in the morning and one in the evening see if it would help her.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #29 
ANHEL123

Also sorry i was talking to a few more people , i don't remember if we talk about temperature. I would lower it to 76-77 *since bacteria and fungus thrive and multiply in the warmer water . If you will lower the temp do it gradually about 1-2* in an hour
Old 03-26-2013, 02:10 AM   #30 
Roemgie

Quote:
Still cloudy eye , still puffy, and still swimming a little sideways go ahead and use Epsom salt on her.
For Epsom( unscented) salt don't worry it very mild and should not stress her out. Use 2 tsp/gall . It can be up to 3tsp/gall. So don't worry to over do it. And also it can be used long term.
Also try may be spleat those pellets two times a day. One in the morning and one in the evening see if it would help her.
Ok I did a 100% water change today and I'll add the epsom salt tomorrow. And I feed them all day and night little pieces so that they won't bloat.