I recently bought a female beta at a local petco. She was stunning, all white with blue lateral stripes I couldn't help but take her home. Even as a plus I found out she changes colors and decided I wanted her to be the mom if I ever had beta frys. My major concern is she has only eaten once since I got her and she didn't even eat that much. She comes to the top and looks at it but shows no interest. At first I thought it was ammonia poisoning but I quarentined and quickly tested and re did her water until I was sure she was feeling better. The red spots by her gills went away and she swims around very lively. I know that I'm the only one feeding her so it can't be mistaken double feeding. It's been two weeks.... and she's settled in a stable enviroment, no big temp changes, not too much stress, she has plenty of hiding places and a "double tank" to herself.
Hey! Thank you. The tank I'm talking about is one of those double fish tanks that you get at petco, the ones that encourage flaring. Though I don't solicit that and I just usually give the fish the whole tank. I have one male and one female and occasionally I put the tanks together and he's quite healthy so he does little dances and makes bubbles for her.
Back on topic of questions, I don't have a filter and I change their water as needed (basically once a week) I start by replacing 25% of the water and as the week goes on I have pre aged water and I also use aquasafe to help and eventually change the whole tank (scrub it down with water, no soap, rinse rock in a net and even wash their fake plants). I've tested the waters for ammonia and at first it was extremely high. This was when she was introduced to the tank... I was letting her settle and my boy friend decided to just dump her in... water and all -.-
I first noticed when she got red spots on her gills and I knew immeadiatly and put her in quarentine and started changing her water progressivly as I've read from a beta help site. I got a test kit at walmart and found out I was right. Her gills are back to normal now and she swims about freely, no gasping, no hanging out down by the rocks, but she does seem a little lazy. I tested her water before putting her in last time I cleaned but I'll retest again later.
I'm a chef in training so I have a pocket thermometer and I always check water temps :P
As for food, I've tried bettamin tropical medley which is what she first ate when we got her. She's not close to being interested in blood worms. I haven't tried pellets or anything else.
Well its hard to say because I have no idea what kind of tank you're talking about... Do you know roughly the size of the tank? Half gallon... one gallon? Depending on the size of the tank you'll need to preform larger and more frequent water changes. Do you have a heater? It doesn't sound like it... The laziness you are describing is no doubt in my mind due to the lack of heat or poor water quality. Bettas being tropical fish require a steady temp of at least 78 degrees.
Are you using dip sticks or a liquid tester? This is my recommendation... First off, minimum 2.5 gallon tank. With a heater and a filter. Once a week 50% water change or twice a week 25% water changes. Don't do 100% (unless we are talking about a half gallon or a 1 gallon tank.. Those need to be changed frequently.) When you do 100% water changes any beneficial bacteria thats colonized in the tank is scrubbed clean and must start all over. And get a liquid tester for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH.
So she won't even bite a blood worm? Thats not good sign... I've never heard of a betta that doesn't like blood worms... So you feed flakes? Many bettas don't like flakes, so try pellets and if that doesn't work then its possible your betta isn't eating due to the lack of a heater or water quality.
It's maybe 2 qt tank and I highly doubt it's water quality. I'm thinking it's water temp, I don't have a heater. I've never had any problems with betas before and they've always flourished in these tanks. Though my little girl seems to be an exception :( poor thing
I've had betas last a couple of years before dying. My male is doing fantastic and he freaks out when I put him in something bigger. You should have seen the poor guy going from his plastic container to his tank, he really freaked out. He was fine at first and then started swimming around and then I think he got a little scared by the size because I put the divider in and cut the tank size in half and he calmed down and then I finally got him to accept the whole thing.
Yeah temp must be it, I just opened the blinds and she must be warming up because she's swimming a little faster. I hope that's all it is and I'll try pellets and eventually buy a bigger tank when I can afford it.
I don't mean it as she or he is lonely, I just like to oogle the glo zebras. I've always had gold fish and betas. Though after my last beta committed suicide, I haven't had fish for a very long time. I had him for a year, his name was rez and one day he just jumped out of his tank while I was at school, I got home too late :\ Some more fish would be nice and getting back into an old hobby is a good relaxer for me.
AND!!! She just ate, wonderful! She gobbled up some flakes but passed up the worms, silly weirdo.
Without a proper test kit, it's impossible to tell whether or not water quality is an issue. Even if your ammonia test kit is showing zero, you could still have deadly levels of nitrites or high nitrates in your tank. A half gallon tank is going to build up to extremely high levels of ammonia in no time flat so will need very frequent (i.e. every day) water changes to keep your fish healthy.
Honestly, any tank under 2.5g is going to be impossible to keep at a stable temperature and your fish's immune system is going to suffer for it. I suggest getting at least a 2.5g tank with a heater and low-flow filter of some kind. If you're buying all new equipment, you can get up to a 10g tank with all the trimmings for about the same price you'd pay getting one of those kits. You can get even larger tanks quite cheap on craigslist. The bigger the tank, the more stable the environment for your fish.