Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #1 
GFarra

Problem with white/grey stuff in my tank.....help please

Hi Everyone

I've been having a problem with one of my tanks. here is the set up:

5 Gallon heated

Whisper 3i filter (I realize this filter isnt suitable for this tank. I use it more for circulation/aeration than filtration)

Water is conditioned with either Prime or Stress Coat

gravel bottem with silk plants

WC routine is 2x weekly. 1 at 100% and 1 at 50%.

Last week while doing the 100% WC I noticed that the filter wasnt moving any water around. i pulled the cartridge and it was loaded with this white/grey stuff. it was also inside the housing and it clogged the air hole at the bottom of the filter tube where the air line connects.

This week I have been doing daily 80% water changes because my guy likes to bite his tail. a few days ago he took a chuck out..grr!!

Last night I noticed the same stuff on the glass walls of the tank and the heater suction cups. Did a 80% WC and cleaned off the glass and heater.

What is this stuff and what is causing it? How do I get this under control and eliminate it?

TIA

George
GFarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #2 
InfiniteGlory

how long has your tank been setup? are you trying to cycle the tank or leaving it uncycled?

I had something like this when I first set up my tank. It looked like tissue almost and was on everything. Members here told me it was normal and would clear up. well a week later and many water changes and cleanings later it was gone and I haven't seen it since.
InfiniteGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #3 
GFarra

Hi there

I am not attempting to cycle. I never thought that little 3i filter could support a cycle. My 100% WC routine would wreck a cycle anyway since I clean the entire tank and rinse the the plants and gravel.

This almost looks like mushy talcum powder

Regards

George
Old 03-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #4 
Catw0man

It might be from the Prime water conditioner.....I've had the same thing happen.....last night, as a matter of fact. I'd just tried Betta Basics for the first time (also by Seachem).....and wondered why the water looks cloudy after. It was especially noticeable in a small .5 container I was using as a hospital tank. This morning, the bottom was covered in weird white fluff....like someone had snuck in and dissolved a tissue in there. Additionally, the surface of the water had a layer of greasy-looking slime.

So I had to redo all the water changes this morning.....and hope my fish suffer no long-lasting effects. I will not use these products again.....I don't know if I just got a bad batch (and yes, I did follow the directions....) or what, but I'm not taking the chance. It was disgusting!
Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #5 
GFarra

Thanks, thats interesting. Just a few days ago I opened a new bottle of prime. Since I've been doing daily WC due to my guy biting his tail I wonder if that is the culprit.

I have Stress Coat at home too. I'll try switching and see what happens

George
Old 03-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #6 
RiceFish

I know many people that use and recommend prime water conditioner. Most likely got a bad batch :(
RiceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:23 AM   #7 
Sea Dragon

Stress Coat actually does the same thing lol. Hope you have better luck with it though. The stuff is harmless, but it doesn't look so pretty.
Sea Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #8 
sunlight

Don't use filter. With water changes you do 1-50 and 1-100% weekly you don't need filter. I do the same for my 5 gall . Well i do 100% only every about 8 days.
I do have tail bitter but he don't do it constantly, just once in every about 6 month. But really you don't need to do daily water changes. I do it weekly for my 2.5 gall -100% and i never had any problems . He never get infections.Less water movement is better. And i have toys in his tank and silk plants to distract him. And i always been using Prime.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote