Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2013, 12:02 AM   #1 
jman828

Maracyn/Maracyn 2

I was wondering if I premix a batch of Maracyn or Maracyn 2 in a bucket so I can use it for treatment every time I need it throughout the treatment period, will it lose effectiveness before I put it in the tank. So pretty much do I need to mix it fresh each time?
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #2 
pittipuppylove

Yup, the meds will loose their effectiveness if you keep them stored in solution, so it needs to be mixed fresh each time. lol It'd be way easier if it could be premixed, though.
Posted via Mobile Device
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #3 
Otterfun

Callistra told me to put the whole packet in a measuring cup and apportion the solution to the size of my tank to have a correct dispensation of the meds. It worked much better and my Curious Grace was cured of Dropsy and Slime Coat Infection.

Found this in liquid form:
http://www.sentrypetcare.com/product...e=766&pr=15409

Also click their FAQ that will answer most of the questions posted here regarding MAracy & Maracyn II, and Sentry other products e.g. Coppersafe.

I am thinking of getting it.

Recap from the link:

MardelŽ MaracynŽ-Plus w/Biospheres™ (Freshwater/Saltwater) 8oz PRODUCT NUMBER: 60100

Maracyn Plus make use of a revolutionary technology that delivers the antibiotic directly to the fish. Multi-layered microspheres attach to the fish and break down one layer at a time releasing the antibiotics in a controlled regulated manner.

http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed...o.cfm?id=18234
Indications
Maracyn Plus contains two powerful broad spectrum antibiotics that are effective against a wide range of bacterial diseases. The microscopic biospheres attach directly to the fish delivering the medication where it is needed. Prevents reinfection during treatment.

SYMPTOMS
Fin and Tail Rot - Fins are torn or frayed.
Popeye - Eyes may be cloudy, hazy or protruding.
Dropsy - Fish hides, does not eat, has a swollen body and appears sluggish.
Ulcers - Sores, bleeding or red streaks on body.
Mouth and Body "Fungus" - Grayish white stringy material covering most of the body and mouth, white or gray patches.

A filming agent, Chitosan, which has a molecular structure similar to the natural mucous coat of a fish, seals the treatment in contact with the tissue surface.

Last edited by Otterfun; 03-26-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote