Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2013, 12:04 AM   #51 
LittleBlueFishlets

Are you using any meds right now? Is he still in the Epsom salt?

If someone like Callistra or Sakura8 doesn't reply quickly, you may want to PM them or leave a message on their profile page.

What meds do you have on hand?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:09 AM   #52 
MidnightsSong

He is on 2 tsp epsom for every gallon. I only have melafix, quickcure, and aquarium salt on hand.
I don't think melafix is all that great, right? :/
MidnightsSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:38 AM   #53 
dougan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightsSong View Post
I don't think melafix is all that great, right? :/
I think I saw someone mention on this forum that anything with "fix" in its name can be harmful to the fish.

Unless it's a technical limitation you're having with the camera, like it has difficulty focusing on a close shot, keep trying to get a photo of him so that the others can have a look at the scale issue you've mentioned. I know it can be frustrating, though.

Last edited by dougan; 03-26-2013 at 01:41 AM.
dougan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:29 AM   #54 
MidnightsSong

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougan View Post
I think I saw someone mention on this forum that anything with "fix" in its name can be harmful to the fish.

Unless it's a technical limitation you're having with the camera, like it has difficulty focusing on a close shot, keep trying to get a photo of him so that the others can have a look at the scale issue you've mentioned. I know it can be frustrating, though.
Thanks! That is what I thought, I just wanted to double check.

It's so dark right now, even with all the lights on. I might just have to wait a few more hours for day light. :/
Old 03-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #55 
Sakura8

Hi MidnightSong. I read through your thread just a bit so let me just recap so I have it straight. You've had your betta for two years and he recently developed a constipation issue. He eats every other day or so but now his scales are slowly starting to rise. Is this about it?

The good news is judging from the pictures, he's not grossly bloated. The bad news is I think he may be suffering from complications of old age. Two years old is quite elderly for a betta and as they age, their organs begin to fail and shut down. As the organs shut down, fluid begins to build up because the organs are no longer properly processing things. This is what could be causing his scales to rise.

There is also a possibility that he has an internal infection, most likely of his kidneys. Raising the epsom salt level to 3 tsps per gallon may help with that.

If you want to try a medication for him, we'll need one that absorbs well into the system because feeding him medicated food most likely won't work. Your best bet is Seachem Kanaplex but this medication is very hard to find and usually has to be ordered online. You may also consider using API General Cure. This is normally an anti-parasite medication but the main ingredient, metronidazole, has been shown to be somewhat effective treating some forms of internal infections. It might be worth a shot.

Otherwise, if you'd rather go the natural route for a while longer, definitely continue with the epsom salts. You may want to add a source of tannins as well, such as Indian Almond leaves or naturally dried and clean oak leaves.

Good luck!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #56 
MidnightsSong

That is correct!

I don't like the sound of that. I love my baby. I will increase the epsom and look for those medications.

If none work or it takes forever to get shipped, how much longer do you think he'll survive?

This is the best I could do:
As I said scales rising are VERY minor, but they are not laying flat on his body. It continues down, but it's hard to tell when he's curled like in the photo.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #57 
dougan

It's my understanding that Seachem does not sell directly to the consumer. If you go to their website and look up Kanaplex, they provide you with a product description and then a link to look up possible dealers in your area: http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod.../KanaPlex.html.

The problem I experienced with this is that even though they provide a list of dealers, sometimes that list is outdated as each dealer page mentions that the dealer carried the product when they were last visited by a Seachem representative. In my case that was about 3 years ago for many of the dealers. But it may be worth your time to call some of the dealers in your area to verify.

If that fails, I think the only other option is ebay. Here's the top link that returned when I did a search for Kanaplex on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seachem-Kana...item2a2add1a4e I have no connection or experience with this seller, but they do have a high rating.

But I am not an expert on this and I'm not sure if Kanaplex is the answer. I mention this based on my experience and in support of what Sakura8 said about it being very difficult to find.

From the photo it looks like your fish may be exhibiting signs of dropsy. But it's probably best to let the others have a look before you go by my diagnosis.

Edit: Here is another site that sells Kanaplex: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=24795. Just be sure to research the reputation of the vendor(s) you're purchasing from so you minimize the chance of a bad buying experience.

Last edited by dougan; 03-26-2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Additional resource
dougan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #58 
Sakura8

MidnightSong, if speed is an issue then I would go straight to General Cure while searching for Kanaplex. I have purchased Kanaplex from the website above before; Fosters and Smith is a well-known and well respected mail order pet supply company and I would recommend them.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disease, sick