Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-26-2008, 09:03 AM   #1 
Orchidlover

Question Betta Tankmate Advice

I have a 3 gallon Eclipse tank. Is my tank too small to try a dwarf cory with my betta? I know you should have a cory school of 3-4 in a tank. I want to see if my betta will tolerate a tankmate first. Wasn't sure if my tank was even large enough to house more than one fish.
Orchidlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:06 AM   #2 
Tyyrlym

An eclipse has a pretty overpowered filter. So long as your maintenance is up to snuff you should be able to have a small school of dwarf cories with the betta.
Tyyrlym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:23 AM   #3 
Orchidlover

Thanks for the info! My maintenance is up to snuff so I'll go fish shopping this weekend. This is my first tank and you've just confirmed what I suspected -- that the Eclipse filter is probably too strong. I see a larger tank(s) in my future and will probably keep the Eclipse as a quarantine tank.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:35 AM   #4 
Tyyrlym

There are steps you can take to reduce the Eclipse's power and the current it makes. A deflector under the return water stream will break up the flow returning and reduce the current. A restriction on the intake like a sponge will lower the total water flow through the filter.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:34 PM   #5 
Orchidlover

I like the idea of a deflector. What would I use? Is this something I can purchase at Petco or Petsmart?

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2008, 12:09 AM   #6 
iamntbatman

Make sure the cories you get are Corydoras pygmaeus or Corydoras hastatus as these guys stay truly tiny. The Corydoras habrosus gets a little bigger.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:44 AM   #7 
Tyyrlym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidlover View Post
I like the idea of a deflector. What would I use? Is this something I can purchase at Petco or Petsmart?

Thanks!
No, it's likely something you're going to have to build. I don't have any specific advice on it just yet but I'm getting an Eclipse for Christmas and it's something I'm going to have to deal with. I'll keep you updated. PM me.