Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #31 
ANHEL123

Yes definitely live everything in the sun for a few days after disinfection to neutrolize the bleach also.
But i would still give this one a chance see what happened. Poor guy. Also anything new that you put in the tank always rinse very well. I always hold my hands under the water for about 30 sec before i feed or change my bettas.
Good luck , keep us updated.

Last edited by ANHEL123; 03-26-2013 at 05:09 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #32 
BatCakes

Thank you. I actually returned the tank and got the same one new, because after I ran the filter to test it out, it was remarkably loud (and I know something was wrong with it, as my friend has the same one and it was quite quiet comparatively). Shouldn't be any problems with the tank, I bought new gravel and rinsed it as well, etc. Hopefully my new Betta will be a little more healthy.
BatCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #33 
caissacrowntails

sorry about your betta, batcakes. :(
caissacrowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:08 AM   #34 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatCakes View Post
Thank you. I actually returned the tank and got the same one new, because after I ran the filter to test it out, it was remarkably loud (and I know something was wrong with it, as my friend has the same one and it was quite quiet comparatively). Shouldn't be any problems with the tank, I bought new gravel and rinsed it as well, etc. Hopefully my new Betta will be a little more healthy.
You need to let the pet store know that you used the tank and a fish died in it so they can take it off the shelf.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #35 
Briz

A side note here, if you have trouble getting your future betta to eat pellets or dried bloodworms, try other foods, such as flakes. One double tail I got from Petco wouldn't eat pellets or dried bloodworms, but when I tried flakes he goes nuts for it.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #36 
ANHEL123

sorry for your betta,:( If you get 1.5 gall tank do not use filter just do 1-50% and 1-100% water changes a week. If you ever have filter always make sure it not too strong for your bettta ans not too much water movement.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:30 AM   #37 
BatCakes

I wish I had tried flakes first like you suggested, I just ordered some NLS Betta pellets online. Hopefully my new fish will like those better, or I'll have a pile of pellets and a fish that won't eat them. I asked that in another thread though, haha. And I wasn't planning on having the filter on since it's such a small tank, but if/when I get a larger one, I want a filter that works.

Last edited by BatCakes; 03-27-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #38 
ANHEL123

New bettas usually very picky and a lot of time refusing to eat. I had problem with a few new bettas before as soon as you give them blood worms they will refuse pellets. One betta took me almost 3 wks to teach him to eat pellets. I tried to trick him with flakes, i chipped pellets into tiny pieces.....Just keep offering and remove uneaten so it don't contaminate the water which can give him infection.

Flakes cause swim bladder issues more readily than most pellets. The flakes will also muck up his water quickly , so really pellets are better than flakes. I usually feed them with messy food the day when i do full water change. Btw you can even give your betta cooked shrimp. Just tiny pieces the size of the pellet, betta would love it. Again i do it only when i do full water change because it sinking to the bottom right away if they missed it ,or they head down to the bottom to catch it.
And be careful do not overfeed him because they don't know when to stop :)

Last edited by ANHEL123; 03-28-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #39 
BatCakes

Okay, thank you, I'll keep trying!

At this point he actually flares at pellets. Ack.

Tags
betta help, new fish, new owner, not eating