Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2013, 11:03 PM   #11 
mermaid77

I have a package of Hikari BioGold on hand, which I bought when my first fish initially refused to eat the Omega One (they both gobble them up now), and it doesn't contain this preservative...though apparently it's considered a lesser quality brand...Huh :/ it leaves me to wonder if anything containing fish 'needs' to be preserved with it...then why would some brands not contain it? Unless, like the article stated, perhaps it's not added by them per se, so some companies likely omit it on the list of ingredients, though it likely still IS there....who knows...
mermaid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:03 PM   #12 
Elliriyanna

Fishy did you read the article? Honestly I have never seen hard fact ...
Elliriyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:13 PM   #13 
Fishy Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliriyanna View Post
Fishy did you read the article? Honestly I have never seen hard fact ...
I just read it & I'll be honest, it would be hard to find food (not just fish food, but most human food in a store) that doesn't have some type of preservative. I don't think the FDA is going to regulate fish food any time soon either, lol. All preservatives (in human or pet food) are bad, but you have to be realistic about what you have access to for your fish.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:20 AM   #14 
kyle89

I makes sense that the fish and other ingredients are preserved before being made into fish food. The companies are not adding it but instead its in the products they use.
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #15 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Mom View Post
I just read it & I'll be honest, it would be hard to find food (not just fish food, but most human food in a store) that doesn't have some type of preservative. I don't think the FDA is going to regulate fish food any time soon either, lol. All preservatives (in human or pet food) are bad, but you have to be realistic about what you have access to for your fish.
Actually, the amount of ethoxyquin in dog food is already "requested" by the FDA to be below 75ppm ... that doesn't say anything about any other animals though.

To be fair, the original article I linked regarding toxicity had the fish being fed a very large amount of ethoxyquin ... sort of akin to saccharin causing cancer in lab rats when they eat huge quantities in the lab. Anything in large volumes is harmful.

What worries me more are the long-term effects - the FDA site and my original link mention a build-up of something in the liver over time. Maybe this is one of the contributing factors of having lower lifespans in captivity?
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #16 
Stone

I would like to see study data on real use levels of Ethoxyquin, not some 1000x the regular use concentration, hell drinking too much water can kill you, so basically I tend to not believe any study that ramps up the dose to get a result, and well even with that the results of the one study I looked at did not prove a single thing other than using tons of this may/might cause cancer I doubt a long living fish like a cory over it's life time could eat as much as one dose of what they were subjecting an animal too daily, and for those that do not know some species of corydoras can live to be 20 years old or older the longest on record was 27 years in captivity
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #17 
Bluelily54

I agree Stone, people freak out about preservatives in their pet food but they don't read and see that most published studies ramp up the dosage. I stick with what I'm buying for my hermit crabs only because they think it's the nectar of the gods and wouldn't really eat the regular stuff you find in stores :D, but I think Captain Barbossa is fine with his Omega One Pellets. And if the manufacturer has little/no control over the matter... It's all about perspective, I think.
Bluelily54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #18 
VJM

Repashy meat Pie doesn't seem to use it. Any thoughts about that as a staple food? I have been kind of tempted by it, and this may seal the deal.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #19 
Stone

I am not going to change foods, Omega 1 and NLS are the best foods hands down.As far as any other store bought food we never know what really could be in any of it, but I guess if you really wanted to you could raise microworms or vinegar eels or some other live food for your fish, I am going to stick with NLS and Omega 1
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #20 
Fishy Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
Actually, the amount of ethoxyquin in dog food is already "requested" by the FDA to be below 75ppm ... that doesn't say anything about any other animals though.

To be fair, the original article I linked regarding toxicity had the fish being fed a very large amount of ethoxyquin ... sort of akin to saccharin causing cancer in lab rats when they eat huge quantities in the lab. Anything in large volumes is harmful.

What worries me more are the long-term effects - the FDA site and my original link mention a build-up of something in the liver over time. Maybe this is one of the contributing factors of having lower lifespans in captivity?
I did notice the dosage at that link. I'll be honest, my oppinion of the FDA and peservatives isn't very high. I don't want to go into it too much, but it's not just in pet food. Other countries in NATO denied medical and pharmaceutical experts from pushing the US vaccines in some attempt to vacinate the world because of the perservatives used in the US vacines. Don't get me started on adding flouride, which is a toxin, to our public drinking water here in the US and the skewed studies to show it's safe.

I won't go into it more because that info is not fish related, but that little bit of information should give you some idea of my perspective on perservatives and FDA regulations. I had to do research due to my sensitivity to certain persvatives and I found out more than I ever wanted to know, lol.

As for fish food I have to be realistic and realize there is no real perfect food that I can buy in a store.

Last edited by Fishy Mom; 03-27-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote