Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #1 
Otterfun

UV Sterilizers

OK, so if the tank is cycled, will adding a UV Sterilizer kill the BB?
It seems like there are some that you can connect to the powerhead and sterilize the water as it passes through the unit.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Media/...zer2Manual.pdf

Is this an overkill?

I was thinking of eliminating bacteria that cause columnaris etc. from the tank.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

It won't eliminate all of the bad bacteria, and even if it did the good bacteria would die to. I don't use uv sterilizers because:

1) They are never 100% effective- and that one percent of the bacteria that survived will just repopulate.

2) They are not cheap.

3) They are completely unnecessary in my opinion.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #3 
ryancalif

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
It won't eliminate all of the bad bacteria, and even if it did the good bacteria would die to. I don't use uv sterilizers because:

1) They are never 100% effective- and that one percent of the bacteria that survived will just repopulate.

2) They are not cheap.

3) They are completely unnecessary in my opinion.
Now for the other side of the story...

1. They are very effective at removing not only bacteria, but parasitic, fungal, and viral pathogens. Repopulation would only happen if you turned the sterilizer off. It's supposed to remain on at all times, just like a pump.

2. Some are cheapER. Overall though, they are geared towards larger aquariums with larger populations of fish.

3. While not necessary, per se, they can be very useful in reducing the risk of fish getting sick. Especially in tanks with large populations, or tanks with a transient population.

P.S. The good bacteria are not affected with UV sterilizers since the the vast majority of good bacteria are attached to substrate and the aquarium filter. UV sterilizers only treat the water itself. It's a glorified water pump essentially.

I'm not promoting these things by any means. I'm just trying to make the argument fair and balanced.

Last edited by ryancalif; 03-22-2013 at 06:35 PM.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Yes, but proper quarentine and care is much more effective. Nothing is ever perfect or 100%, and therefore some undesirable organisms will survive, and end up back into the water column.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #5 
Otterfun

talked to my boss who is a moderator of one of the forum on Fishlore.
he said UV strilizer is an overkill in a 10g tank because the effectiveness is based on the power of the powerhead (pump), the Wattage, and dwell time of the unit (in relation to the length of the unit=the distance the water has to travel and therefore treated inside the unit). So a 8W 6" UV sterilizer will not be long enough for the water to be effectively treated to kill Ick, etc. But he said it will at least make the water clearer which a regular WC will accomplish. So I guess I will not "need" one. =D
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote