Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2013, 11:35 PM   #1 
Blue Fish

No bubbles?

Anyone have bettas who just don't do bubble nests?

My guys used to, and a couple will every now and again, but by and large, they just aren't bubblers. Tanks are all cycled and heated, all params are good, everyone seems healthy and happy...just no bubbles.

I've just gotten used to their lack of bubbles, but I wondered if anyone else had experienced anything similar? :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:53 PM   #2 
bserrano2

Funny the same with mine. I kept Renji in a 1-gal bowl while he was healing up (when i bought him he had minor fin rot), and after a week of having him he started blowing bubbles. Now that I have him in a 2.5 mini bow with a heater, silk plants, and i have the current controlled with a panty hose he wont blow bubbles.

I know that blowing bubbles isnt necessary but I kinda miss seeing the bubbles lol.
bserrano2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:05 AM   #3 
mermaid77

Mine only made a bubble nest once while he was still in his 1,5g tank. Haven't seen a single bubble since then and he certainly doesn't lack the room in the 5g he's in now. The filter is well baffled, but, I think even the smallest ripples on the water surface may still rain on his bubble making parade! lol
mermaid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:22 AM   #4 
Blue Fish

Huh, the common thread here is that they're in larger containers, and they stop the bubbles....I wonder if it's something to do with the larger space?

Since they breed in tidepools (don't they, or is that part of the myth?) is it maybe something triggered by the smaller water volume, I wonder? So when they're in the larger water they don't feel the possibility of breeding, so the bubbles stop?

It'd be interesting to get some more information on this, hopefully some additional people will post. :)
Old 03-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #5 
Polkadot

My 3 little ones have never made a bubblenest.My first lovely little boy Link lived in a 3 gallon bowl & he made them all the time.Peanut,Button & Piglet are each in 30 litre (7-8 gallon) heated,filtered tanks & none of them have ever made a bubblenest.But they are all very happy,healthy little boys.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

Sometimes they do & then for long periods of time nothing. I don't worry about it.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #7 
Jexx

my guy only started making bubble nests once he moved into his 5 gallon. so I don't think size has anything to do with it, i think that is just a coincidence. Do you show your guys their reflections in a mirror? The other thing that got my guy to start bubbling was when he saw "another betta" for the first time. He started bubbling like crazy after that. He does go through periods where he doesn't make any nests though.
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #8 
Blue Fish

I've got one who makes nests because of his tank mate, but the others just really don't seem interested. They're all in divided tanks, so I don't do the mirror, but I might try it...I had one who would only flare at his reflection, so I'll check out the others. :) Two live in front of the bathroom mirror, and don't flare at the reflection, never have. Those two will flare at each other occasionally, but then they'll go to the same corner and sleep next to one another...so they must not be that fierce. ;)
Old 03-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #9 
sainthogan

My male only makes nests when there's a storm system going through. You can usually tell if it's a big system or not by the size of he nest. For example, 2 days before what the weather channel said was going to be a small snow storm for our area, my fish blew the biggest bubble nest I had ever seen, then when the storm came through, we ended up getting 3 feet of snow!!! So much for the weathermen, they sure mispredicted that one.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #10 
Blue Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
My male only makes nests when there's a storm system going through. You can usually tell if it's a big system or not by the size of he nest. For example, 2 days before what the weather channel said was going to be a small snow storm for our area, my fish blew the biggest bubble nest I had ever seen, then when the storm came through, we ended up getting 3 feet of snow!!! So much for the weathermen, they sure mispredicted that one.
Okay, that is just cool. :) I've got dogs who know about thunderstorms, and the horses occasionally know about foul weather, but I've never heard of fish doing it, so cool! :)