Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #1 
BoxedHobo

New betta owner, questions!

Sorry if this is long, I just like to get all the details in...

Hello all, two weeks ago I purchased three bettas from Petsmart. But why, you ask, you're a new owner.

Well. I've had betta fish in the past. Before I go on, I'd like to mention that my betta fish did live for a few years before passing. But I was never really a serious owner, I was a child.

These three fish just stood out to me for some reason. I had at least three fishbowls at home from previous bettas/goldfish. They just needed cleaning. I cleaned one up, along with the stones and plants very well at home and returned to the store. I saw a divided tank at Petsmart:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
Because it was cheap, and I didn't want to have fish sitting around in cups at home, I bought it, and the three fish that really made an impression on me. Prior to seeing them, I really hadn't thought about owning fish in a long time.

So I brought them home. A male Vail (I think?) betta named Urara, A male Halfmoon betta named Haru, and a female Crown Tail betta named Koko. I brought them home and I released them into their new homes, making sure to use the water from the cups so the new water wasn't such a shock. I made sure to condition the water beforehand though!

So it turned out all of my previous fish supplies, minus the bowls and such were tossed, so knowing my betta's like warmer water, I put them in my windowless bathroom with the lights on during the day and off during the night, and kept the door shut so the warm air would keep the room nice and warm. It worked, but then my Spring Break ended and I had to return to college.

I never really thought fish would impact me much, but I found myself worrying about if they were warm enough. The small split tank was near my computer, which kept the water warm (but probably not warm enough), but the bowl is still kind of cold.

So this is were my issues come into play.
I would like to buy a heater for the 1g bowl. I was thinking of getting this:
But I want some input. Has anyone used it and is it any good? Other suggestions are welcome too of course! I would like my fish to be warm. I keep reading mixed results on the size of tanks/bowls/aquariums on the board, but I live in a college owned apartment, and they have a limit to the size tank you can get. Urara seems pretty happy in the bowl. He absolutely loves the leaf hammock! He's a pretty mellow betta fish, from what I've been observing (in both the warm bathroom and my cool apartment). Haru and Koko shared the split tank. Haru spent a lot of his time swimming against the divider wall and flaring at Koko, which I know is stressful to bettas. Two mornings when i went to feed my bettas I found Haru laying on his side in the plastic plants of his tank and I thought he was dead. As soon as I removed the lid he'd dart off, then continue flaring at Koko who just stared back. I decided to switch Urara and Haru since one is more relaxed and one is more high strung. Urara flared only a few times at Koko and went onto being his chill fishy way. Tensions are lower in there now. Haru is now in the 1g fish bowl. He still seems pretty high strung and still swims against the glass of the bowl very energetically. I just want him to relax!

So question two. I'm looking for one new bowl. I still have to clean our a 2g bowl at home that I'm planning to put Haru in for more space. I have a 1/2g bowl from an old beta that looks like this:
http://www.petfood.com/item/imagine-...rccode=GPPETFD
But it's pretty much the same size as the divider tank and I don't want Koko to be stuck in that cramped divided tank for long either! I noticed on my own that it just wasn't big enough for them. It might be good for when I do water changes though. Since I have a limited income and a limited size for my bowls, I've been looking at 1g and 2g tanks. I'm going back to Petsmart this weekend to buy all three of them heaters and thermometers. I've been looking at these tanks, and I would also like some feedback/info on them as well. I want to know if they're any good!

Also, while talking to my friend, she sent me this to consider:
http://www.petco.com/product/12351/A...um%20Kit-12351
But should I invest in that and possibly stress out Urara and Koko? I couldn't possibly put Haru with the others...

Additionally, I was looking at this:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Cultu...-Pets/17248149
Which I could buy TONIGHT at the Walmart down the road. I'm not very certain on their quality of items, so I don't know if I should invest in that or any of the heaters they sell. Basically, I'm not a fan of the place, so I don't know what I should buy.

Has anyone bought this?
And how do your bettas like it? I was thinking of getting one but it seemed kinda pricey for me at the time (I only had so much to spend that day).

LAST QUESTION.
Since Haru keeps swimming into the side of his bowl and seems very energetic or high strung, is there a reason for that? He's stationed pretty far from the other two bettas, and yeah, I understand his water isn't heated. Is that why he could be swimming against the bowl like he's trying to get out?

Additional info on how I care for them??
- I feed all three of them three pellets of Aqueon Betta Food twice a day (It was the only non-flake stuff I could find and my past bettas always had trouble eating flakes).
- None of them have filters, but I've done a 50% and a 100% water change each week (since March 19th when I bought them).
- I try to keep my room warm when I can. I'm not supposed to have a space heater, but my roommates like the apartment cool, and I like it warm (I guess, much like my bettas!). I keep the space heater on when I'm awake and in the room (Don't want to start any fires or anything while I'm asleep or out!)
- I go back home this weekend, and I still have their cups from Petsmart that I was planning on moving them with. I usually go home every weekend, but moving my fish that often would be too stressful wouldn't it? I may come up with a system with my roommates to feed them over weekends, find an alternative method of feeding, or just... not go home as often/long.
- Not really a care factoid, but since I have gotten them, no color has faded on them, no clouding of the eyes, no nothing. They look pretty healthy. Haru seems brighter than when I first got him, so am I doing it right? Haha.

ANYWAY. If you have good, small tank suggestions, heater suggestions for smaller tanks/bowls, or other advice, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you for reading my essay of a post. As I said, I like to give all details because I want as much help as possible/advice. I had learned some things from watching my own bettas in the past, but I have been reading up on how to properly care for them.

I'll attach photos on my fish and their habitats. (I took a picture of them in the sunlight only to showcase their color... or try to. I don't keep them in direct sunlight. There are two pictures of Haru in different lighting. He looks like a different fish depending on it!)
Attached Images

BoxedHobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #2 
bniebetta

All of those tanks will probably be more than fine, its the decor and plants you have to be careful about since their fins tear easily and a lot of companies like Penn-Plax make products that corrode in the tank. Also, those betta leafs are great; I have three of them!! Just check it every once in a while because there have been reports of the metal rod in the center rusting and polluting the tank. If you are worried about this you can seal it with aquarium silicon or aquarium safe hot glue. You may want to consider trying an indian almond leaf for your more spunky betta, a lot of people use them to keep their fish happy. Also, bettas have weird preferences and likes/dislikes (for instance mine hates the dark and the color teal). Maybe there is something around him that is bothering him and making him really high strung.
The main thing you want to worry about is heater quality and food.... A lot of tanks are overpriced for their functionality, and most fish are happy in just about anything as long as it is big enough. Don't skimp on the heaters, faulty ones can be a disaster (take it from me)! You want ones that are adjustable, if possible.

As for the log toy, your fish would probably love it, but they can take up a lot of space. Bettas are very intelligent fish who love toys and stimulating environments, but if you dont have enough space you can make cheap substitutions. I personally float those little plastic ring from milk jugs, and my fish love to blow bubble nests in them. As for walmart, you are right. A lot of their stuff is crap so be careful about the decor you buy there.

Its kind of hard to tell why your fish is swimming against the bowl like that without seeing it happen, but it sounds similar to my really spastic fish. Mine seems like he is just really REALLY excited to see me (or get food). Unless he is showing other signs of stress, I would just give him some time and he will probably mellow out.

You're doing great on water changes :) The only recommendation I would have in this section would be to feed them less, ESPECIALLY if the food you have contains wheat products. You may consider getting them some other types of food frozen bloodworms, etc) to keep their diet well rounded. These fish can get easily constipated so overfeeding is a huge problem. Many people on this site recommend that you fast your fish one day a week, and so maybe the weekend might be a good time to do that if you don't want to stress them out by moving them around.

I think you are doing pretty well so far, and can't wait to see pics of them all!! Sorry if my response was long, just wanna make sure you have all the info you need to have successful aquariums :DD
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #3 
BoxedHobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniebetta View Post
All of those tanks will probably be more than fine, its the decor and plants you have....
Yeah, I read a few things about the plastic plants in their environments and how silk ones are better. I actually have some fake flowers around that I started to cut up and make into my own modified aquarium plants.

Also I wasn't aware there was wire in the leaf! It looked like it was made only of plastic. Hm... As for the toy log I was thinking of getting it and rotating it between fish to see who likes it/uses it. Same with the leaf (Haru won't touch the leaf, Urara lays in it all day). If the other two fish both like the log, I'll buy another. But I'd like to test it out first, you know? :P

I've never read about the Indian Almond Leaf. Can you explain it's purpose a bit to me? Do you float it? Sink it? Use a real one, or is it a reference to a shape of a fake aquarium plant?

What type of adjustable heaters do you suggest for a 1g tank/bowl?

One of my classmates at college also adores bettas and she's going to bring in some bloodworms for me since she said a little goes a long way? How often should I give them this? Is feeding them 3 pellets 2x a day okay? On weekends I'm typically gone until Monday night, which is why I worry.

As for swimming into the side of the bowl, Haru does it all around the bowl and doesn't seem to notice me much while he's doing it.

Also I thought I attached pictures in my post! D:
Old 03-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #4 
bniebetta

There may not be in yours, I have heard that some leaves are different but I just got those three new ones and they do, so just keep an eye on it :) Rotating toys is a great ides, my bettas all have different preferences and sometimes it seems like a waste if they done use their toys. just make sure you give them enough time to get used to it to determine if they like it :)

The indian almond leaf is sometimes hard to come by, but you can find them all the time on places like http://www.aquabid.com/. Bettas are basically accustomed to a certain water quality, which is basically not 100% crystal clear. The water typically has leaves and other things in it, and these leaves are one way to mimic their natural habitat. They leech healthy chemicals into the water and keep the betta healthy and relaxed. You just float portions of it in the water, but it can turn your water an amber color.

Bloodworms are a "snack" but i give them to mine every few days to keep their diet regulated. i would only feed them 3 pellets once a day to avoid overfeeding.

Ill have to do some research to show you the best heaters for one gallon, but you will probably find the adjustable ones in the 3+ gallon range :)
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #5 
BoxedHobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniebetta View Post
There may not be in yours...
Ahhh 3 gallons is a bit too big for my college apartment. Our rooms are very small and I'd rather not leave my betta's in the common area because I have some rather... rowdy roommates.

I'll look into some leaves for my betta! Thanks for the help!!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hi I just want to say congrats on your new fish and to be careful using fake flowers in their bowl cause they could leek out dyes they could hurt them. I would look for some small silk leave plants at your local pet shop, mine have some very nice small silk ones that dont cost much. With the plastic ones you can do a test to see if they would tear pantyhose they would rip their fins. Good luck sounds like your doing fine.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #7 
BoxedHobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Hi I just want to say congrats on your new fish and to be careful using fake flowers in their bowl cause they could leek out dyes they could hurt them. I would look for some small silk leave plants at your local pet shop, mine have some very nice small silk ones that dont cost much. With the plastic ones you can do a test to see if they would tear pantyhose they would rip their fins. Good luck sounds like your doing fine.
Hmm okay I'll check it out.

Do you think that washing the fake flowers and such would work though? Much like washing new clothes in the wash, if I let it soak, do you think that would work? I was planning on doing it that way.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #8 
BoxedHobo

Hello everyone! I just wanted to show an update on my bettas! (Also a question at the end)

I bought heaters for all of them, bought the half moon 1.1 gallon tank with a light for one, and cleaned out an old 2-3 gallon bowl I've had since childhood for another. I bought a thermometer that I use between the three tanks and I bought new food (Omega One). A friend had a lot of bloodworms, so she gave me those. Two seem to like them, the third didn't really take to them.

I currently have three different types of heaters. :T It seemed the all THREE Petsmarts I went to this weekend were pretty wiped out so I got what I could.

I bought a bridge decoration for a bowl, and it seems that it's just... too big. :/ I left it in while I finished tending to the other two bettas, and she seems to like it a lot. It provides her with a lot of hiding space, and she's been weaving through the sections and such. She also has a leaf to float on. I'm afraid of overcrowding it, but she seems to really like it. :(

So here's the half moon shaped tank with my Veil Tail betta, Urara.

Here's the 2-3 gallon tank with my Half Moon Betta, Haru.

(The tank looks gross and browny yellow because the tank itself was "dyed" from the sun. It's made of plastic and been around for about 20 years. The water is actually clean. I bought a live plant that can kind of be seen on the left. Also I taped a picture to the back of his tank because I'm a huge dork.)
It took Haru awhile, but he seems to enjoy the floating log toy. For awhile he was doing very well and curiously exploring his new tank. But he's continued swimming up and down the front side of the tank energetically. I used to have the girl next to him there, and they kept trying to get at each other, so I taped a piece of paper as a backdrop to the bowl she's in.

Here's my crown tail female betta, Koko. With the over crowded bowl. I'm wondering if I should take the bridge out because it's really big for the bowl, but she seems to like it...

Also I have a bit of concern for my Veil Betta, Urara. His tail looked fine last night, and he has no rough edged plants in his tank. But today his tail looks a bit... well.. damaged? Tattered?? I took a picture.

I checked the water and it seemed really warm (81.4 Degrees), so I unplugged his heater and I'm letting it cool down for a bit. Can anyone help me out?
Old 04-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #9 
RowdyBetta

It looks like Urara has fin rot.

Where did you get the ship in Haru's tank? I love it!
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #10 
BoxedHobo

I was watching Urara's tail for awhile because I've been suspecting it since I got him. This is very disappointing. :( It just seems odd that it looked fine last night and was like this today. Do you have any recommendations for what to do about tail rot?

Also! I got the ship at Petsmart! http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

I really like it. Haru seems to as well. I caught him sleeping on the ship's deck.