Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #21 
bettabetter

[quote=
One thing I realized yesterday which really shocked me was that mine notice far more than I had ever realized about their environment. Three of my tanks are close together, and the fish can, presumably, see one another in the different tanks. (I have no idea how good their eyesight is.) I cupped one fish out of one tank...and the others in the OTHER TANKS darted and got stressed over the single cupping in a different tank, several feet away. They saw what had happened to Somerset, and were stressed that it might be going to happen to them as well. I had no idea they were that observant about things happening a fair distance away, and in *another tank* from their own environment. :)[/quote]
I have observed that there eyesight is actually really amazing! yesterday I was sitting on my bed across the room from my fish and I stretched my arms up and he went crazy (he knows that if i put my arms above the tank he gets food)
bettabetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #22 
bettabetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Mom View Post
LOL

These stories about betta tantrums are cracking me up. Is it me or are the boys more dramatic than girls?

Blue fish, I found out how good their eye sight was when I came downstairs & my baby matured overnight. Her tank was several feet away on the opposite counter in my kitchen from my boy. I came down one morning to my boy pacing with the biggest, most dense bubble nest I've ever seen him build & my girl was pacing sporting her breeding stripes.

Bettabetter, did you figure out what is causing it yet?
well he has seemed to relax and calm down now that I took it off, I do think it was just the nail polish I have done so more research and found that if i wear a blue long sleeve shirt and try to play with him he flips out again!
bettabetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #23 
Fishy Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettabetter View Post
well he has seemed to relax and calm down now that I took it off, I do think it was just the nail polish I have done so more research and found that if i wear a blue long sleeve shirt and try to play with him he flips out again!
Well, you can never wear a blue shirt in your home again. Your fishy will not allow it, lol. I'm glad you figured out what was causing it.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #24 
katmandew

Question darting around tank is this normal?

I recently set up a 28 gallon bow front aquarium, did a fishless cycle and when it was ready I added my two headlight tetras to it. After a couple days I bought another one and they all seemed to get along. Last Saturday I bought two more and again they all seemed to get along. The one I bought by itself is much smaller and I worry he isn't eating enough even when I drop the food right in front of him but I have seen him manage to get a couple bites before the others took it all.

Here is the problem (maybe, maybe not), I noticed last night one of the fish is darting around the tank, up and down and across. I inspected them all the best I could and I don't see any signs of ick or anything else odd on their bodies and he doesn't seem to be rubbing against anything. I checked the temperature and it's 77.4 and that stays pretty much consistent. Tested the water and the ph is 7.6, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrates between 20 and 40, hard to match the color but not excessive. I have a few plants, java moss, water wisteria, small sword, anubias and a moss ball. The water has a slight odor of dirt which I understand is normal in a healthy tank.

All of them at one time or another swim up and down the sides of the tank because I think they see their reflection and are trying to swim with the reflection. I feed them flakes once a day and very little hits the bottom, they all seem to eat good and come straight up to the top when I open the hood. The runt doesn't seem to eat as much but he seems fine. There does seem to be some aggression or perhaps playing with each other by chasing each other around.

Has anyone else had a problem with a fish darting around the tank? Is this normal behavior? Am I missing something or just being paranoid? I'm new at this but have learned a lot from this forum and do my best to monitor everything and keep up with maintenance. I did a pwc a couple days ago so I really don't think there's any problems with my water. Any thoughts on this behavior?

Last edited by katmandew; 03-28-2013 at 08:30 AM.
katmandew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #25 
katmandew

hello??? anyone??

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmandew View Post
I recently set up a 28 gallon bow front aquarium, did a fishless cycle and when it was ready I added my two headlight tetras to it. After a couple days I bought another one and they all seemed to get along. Last Saturday I bought two more and again they all seemed to get along. The one I bought by itself is much smaller and I worry he isn't eating enough even when I drop the food right in front of him but I have seen him manage to get a couple bites before the others took it all.

Here is the problem (maybe, maybe not), I noticed last night one of the fish is darting around the tank, up and down and across. I inspected them all the best I could and I don't see any signs of ick or anything else odd on their bodies and he doesn't seem to be rubbing against anything. I checked the temperature and it's 77.4 and that stays pretty much consistent. Tested the water and the ph is 7.6, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrates between 20 and 40, hard to match the color but not excessive. I have a few plants, java moss, water wisteria, small sword, anubias and a moss ball. The water has a slight odor of dirt which I understand is normal in a healthy tank.

All of them at one time or another swim up and down the sides of the tank because I think they see their reflection and are trying to swim with the reflection. I feed them flakes once a day and very little hits the bottom, they all seem to eat good and come straight up to the top when I open the hood. The runt doesn't seem to eat as much but he seems fine. There does seem to be some aggression or perhaps playing with each other by chasing each other around.

Has anyone else had a problem with a fish darting around the tank? Is this normal behavior? Am I missing something or just being paranoid? I'm new at this but have learned a lot from this forum and do my best to monitor everything and keep up with maintenance. I did a pwc a couple days ago so I really don't think there's any problems with my water. Any thoughts on this behavior?
thoughts?? anyone? please??
Old 03-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #26 
DoctorWhoLuver

It might be a better idea to make your own thread...
Unfortunately, I'm no help with tetras X]

Last edited by DoctorWhoLuver; 03-28-2013 at 11:10 PM.
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:59 AM   #27 
katmandew

ok thanks anyway :)

Tags
alarming, colors, darting around, nail polish, play dead