Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2008, 07:52 PM   #1 
adpierin11

Some betta questions...

I have had a 30 gallon tall sitting around and decided to put two female bettas in it. They are super tiny, both about an inch. I have no filter and do not plan on putting one in the tank, because I think it will be too much for them. I have an air pump in the tank and I think it produces to much current at the top sloshing the poor things around oh and of course i have a heater.
My question is since they are the only two in the tank and with no filter how often should I change the water? Will the bacteria ever grow or will I be changing the water too much for it to grow? And for the air pump if I buy an airstone and connect it to the pump will it produce less current?

Last edited by adpierin11; 12-07-2008 at 07:55 PM.
adpierin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:26 PM   #2 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Get a sponge filter. It is not too much for your bettas. As for your airpump, are you sure this is not a powerhead? Powerheads create currents, not the airpumps. If the airpump is to strong, get one designed for nano tanks and connect with a sponge for a filter. Bacteria colonize the substrate and sponge. A weekly water change by 40% is sufficient enough.

On the other hand, you could try your hand on some nerite snails such as Neritina natalensis. They are very docile creatures prefering algae over anything else. You could still supplement them with snail jello which your bettas will also eat or algae wafers. Apple snails are best avoided as their antennae and eyes will be a nipping temptation for bettas.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:49 PM   #3 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

I also think I read somewhere on the forum about four females vs. two females being more suited as tankmates than just two? Someone else will have to confirm...
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:57 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have heard that you should have at least 4 females to spread out the aggression.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:55 AM   #5 
adpierin11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I have heard that you should have at least 4 females to spread out the aggression.
Well that's good b/c I just added two more yesterday. I thought my cichlids were bad, not compared to these guys, but they seem alright so far. Watching them closely to make sure aggression is at a low level.
adpierin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:01 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, just keep an eye on them and separate them if it gets really bad. They will establish a pecking order.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote