What size is your tank? 2 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80.5
Does your tank have a filter? Sponge
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Air pump
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega and NLS
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 times daily will serveral hour in between total 5 pellets

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2 x week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% and 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime and Jungle conditioner with Aloe

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

He had a brown worm like potrusion by his gill I treated with AQ It turned black but retreated toward his gill. It moves in the water when he breathes but I believe it's getting imbedded. Still pics are impossible he wiggles, wiggles, Watch toward the end from 17 secs to 20 and you will see it. You can pause the video and rewatch it's very clear to see at those points. What can I treat with. I need to know proper dosage this is a small fish and a small tank and I don't want to overdose.
The video on youtube:

http://youtu.be/gGtSRCJ5TrY

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:
pH: 7.0
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Black spot on gill
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About week
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? AQ salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure but believe he is young purchase at Petco about March 5th.

Last edited by jadaBlu; 03-27-2013 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Need to add video doesn't seem to work
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I can't see the video.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #3 
jadaBlu

Try back in a few minutes. I put it on youtube instead bcz photobuck wants to upload it if you click the picture. The video is loading now.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #4 
Luimeril

it said the video's private. :I i can't view it at all.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #5 
jadaBlu

Sorry I fixed that.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Hi JadaBlue. How is Gossamer's behavior otherwise? Can he breathe okay? No signs of distress? I'm thinking that the black spot is some natural coloring coming in and nothing to worry about if he's not acting in distress. I would go ahead with a few more days of AQ salt but if the spot hasn't reacted to that, then it's most likely a pigmentation issue.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #7 
jadaBlu

He shows no signs of distress however, there definitey was something there that was brown thin, and worm like. The black object is not in his pigment but floats slightly and moves back an forth and was not there previously. I have netted him to look at it but could not get clear picture.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:49 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Was that brown thing coming out of that spot or from somewhere else?

There is only one parasite I can think of that gets large enough to be seen and it rarely strikes bettas. Just in case, you might google argulus or fish lice. However, I would think that if he had a parasite that large, he would be in distress. :/

Anchor worms are another possibility but I don't think they would leave a black spot. :/ Hmm.

If you feel comfortable with the idea, you may want to increase the salt dosage to 2 tsps per gallon for a few days. This is a stronger dosage meant to target parasites.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #9 
jadaBlu

The brown thing is in the same spot as what is now black. It's as if after I put salt in the tank the "worm" curled up and turned black. You'd think brown to black would me dead and falling off but it's still attached. The fish seems really uncomfortable at less than a teaspoon of salt. One of his fin tips bled with the addition of more salt. I am wondering if I add aloe stress coat if that would counteract the effects of the salt.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Yes, you can add Stress Coat. It's always helpful because it produces that slime coat.

It could have been an anchor worm, as they do stick out from the skin. One lone anchor worm who died and yet for some reason is still stuck to the body.

If you are comfortable with the idea, you can try removing him from the tank and gently pulling at the brown/black thing with tweezers to see if it is really stuck.

Since he doesn't tolerate salt well (some don't), can you increase the heat to 86 F? At that high heat, most parasites have a drastically shortened lifespan.