Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #1 
jadaBlu

Supplier of live plants that does not keep fish with them.

I have seen some people say they suspect they've gotten mycobacterial infections from plants. I'd like to buy some but I don't want snails or exposure to other fish to avoid disease. Any suggestions?
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #2 
tekkguy

With proper quarantine procedures, it is almost impossible to pick up infections from plants. Not completely, but almost. Anyone picking up diseases from their plants is likely not quarantining at all.

Snails are highly beneficial to the planted aquarium, though you will find snail-free sellers. Again, quarantine procedures can help you eliminate snails and eggs from plants before introducing them to your tank.

Your best option is to buy from sellers you trust (like members of this forum who sell plants), and quarantine them properly with bleach and/or potassium permanganate dips.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #3 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
With proper quarantine procedures, it is almost impossible to pick up infections from plants. Not completely, but almost. Anyone picking up diseases from their plants is likely not quarantining at all.

Snails are highly beneficial to the planted aquarium, though you will find snail-free sellers. Again, quarantine procedures can help you eliminate snails and eggs from plants before introducing them to your tank.

Your best option is to buy from sellers you trust (like members of this forum who sell plants), and quarantine them properly with bleach and/or potassium permanganate dips.
actually, i got about 10 free baby pond snails from a purchase here...it took 2 weeks for them to come into being and surface in QT jar, still setting my cucumber traps...
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #4 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
actually, i got about 10 free baby pond snails from a purchase here...it took 2 weeks for them to come into being and surface in QT jar, still setting my cucumber traps...
Yes. But a PP dip will kill them, so again ... there are options. Hope the person didn't claim snail-free when you bought!
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #5 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
Yes. But a PP dip will kill them, so again ... there are options. Hope the person didn't claim snail-free when you bought!
i don't think so and I do not remember, it's just part of having plants, I understand...

i would not claim snail-free if I am 99.9% sure since there is always a 0.01% possibility.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I have been getting my plants from someone on aquabid.com , mikeswetpets is awesome his plants are so healthy and he dips them is something to kill the snails before shipping. His prices are great also. If you want a awesome plant get one of his Banana plants mine has been growing beautiful big colorful leaves since I got it. Although I trust him I still QT any plants for at least a week or more in tap water and before putting them in the tank I pour in some old tank water so they can get used to it got a couple of days. Always check out any feedback when you buy from someone.

One of the Banana leaves grew to the top of the water line and Perseus has been making his bubblenests under and around it , I just love this plant and easy to care for I am getting another one for sure. I think it does like good light I have a 650K bulb in my hood . You dont have to worry about planting it in the gravel or anything it puts out its own roots the will go into the gravel on their own.

Last edited by Perseusmom; 03-28-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote