Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2013, 08:01 AM   #1 
Friendlyfishies

so if my pennywort leaves melt and fall off will the stems grow more?

I got pennywort 2 weeks ago. Early this week all my leaves started melting and falling off as well as the stems (where they were in the substrate). I pulled them out of the substrate, pulled off the melted pieces and let them float. I no longer have melting stems but the leaves are still melting and falling off, will they grow back if the stems are still healthy?

10 gallon
2 6500k lights
eco complete substrate (I removed liquid ferts as we were thinking I was dosing too much)

Last edited by Friendlyfishies; 03-28-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #2 
tekkguy

If they are melting all over the stem, the stem may not be as healthy as you think. If they are melting only from a section of the stem, I would cut that section off - it may be dying and you might still save the rest of the plant.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #3 
Stone

+1 trim off the bad and see if the rest can be saved, sometimes it's a lost cause sometimes it isn't
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #4 
VJM

My dwarf penny wort is also a problem child. Supposedly they grow super fast. Not so much for mine. It finally put out a new runner, but it is really stalled.

My theory is always to take out all the dying stuff and see if the rest of the plant can make a go of it. Lots of plants have total freak out melt down, and then get it back together and grow just fine.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote