Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #11 
ollief9

Wow, what an awful attitude. I think the Betta awareness thing is a great idea, and will probably attract quite a lot of attention. The thing is, people are constantly reminded by the media about these global issues to the point where they start to ignore the problems at home. Many people dismiss good causes because 'there are bigger things to worry about', and yet if all these people really meant that then these problems would surely be fixed. Sure, I understand that problems like poverty and mass discrimination are matters of concern but sometimes it is good to address the problems nearer to you. I think that the sheer magnitude of abuse fish go through should be addressed and who knows, maybe your efforts will be the start of more public awareness. Good luck to you, and keep trying.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #12 
bniebetta

Thanks for you reassurance everyone. and guess what!! they said yes! i just have to set up an appointment :DDD
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #13 
bniebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexx View Post
what kind of friend is this? who says those things? the only appropriate response from a friend would be encouragement if they like your idea or silence if they don't. No need to belittle you. And what benefit is it to them to bring your brother into it like that? Obviously he is a soldier, fighting for a cause, what disrespect to use his name in order to make your cause seem smaller. No good friend would intentionally do that. I am so sorry that was the response you received. I think your idea is wonderful. Even bettas are part of this world and trying to save one small part of the world is equal to trying to save the world for the world is not the world without all of its parts. I wish your brother safety!
You know what? youre right. I need to really evaluate whether I should be friends with this person anymore. Thanks for wishing him safety, I know he would appreciate it. Everyone on this forum is awesome :)
Old 03-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #14 
Jexx

That is so wonderful that they said yes!!! Congrats!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniebetta View Post
You know what? youre right. I need to really evaluate whether I should be friends with this person anymore. Thanks for wishing him safety, I know he would appreciate it. Everyone on this forum is awesome :)
I'm sorry I don't mean to break up a friendship, but I agree that an evaluation of their place in your life would be appropriate. If they behave that way towards you on a regular basis and keep that kind of attitude about anything you find important their friendship is more toxic than it is good.

Where is your brother stationed?

We can't help being awesome :-p
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #15 
bniebetta

right now he is stationed at 29 palms CA but he will be deployed by january :/ he just got married though and I am really happy for him!
Old 03-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #16 
Fishybitty

We all have to start somewhere. There is nothing wrong with betta awareness. Let alone, any awareness people don't know much about.
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #17 
Jexx

I'm sorry I lost this thread. Thats wonderful that he got married! Does he know where he will be deployed to? Did you set up your meeting to plan the awareness session?
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #18 
VJM

I'm vegan and people are super rude about it on a regular basis, including friends.

Believe me, the people who say stuff like this (in my experience) do absolutely nothing about any of those issues either. The idea that a person can actually care about more than one issue at a time seems to have escaped them.

You are making a difference in the world. A positive difference to better the lives of sentient creatures who have no voice. KUDOS YOU!!!
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #19 
crazycritterlady

if you save one fishes life, it won't make much difference to the world, but it will make a world of difference to that fish!

I'm glad you're doing this, it's much needed. I just got a job not long ago at a day spa. They have several bettas all over the spa, all in bowls or vases. no heaters, no room to move, nothing. So, I asked if I could take one to my massage room. I chose one that is really interested in everything around him, but he's soo faded from being cold and not being fed well. I bought him a 3 gallon tank with heater and I've just moved him in there, with a little cave thing, he loves it. I don't know how old he is or anything, but I do know that he'll be happier now, and I'm hoping to show by example how to take care of these beauties.
They had one die this week from being too cold, I don't want to see that happen again.
crazycritterlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:24 AM   #20 
quietlythundering

Good for you! I'm glad you got the appointment :) Libraries are wonderful, free places, and I'm happy that yours was good enough to let you educate others in it's book filled halls. Do us good! :)
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote