Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #11 
bettacrazygirl86

I don't know if my fish know their names, but they do react when I talk to them. I play with them all the time, but I think they have started to associate my fingers with food. Unless my hand is completely in the water, my female betta will nip at my fingers since I've started finger feeding her. She bites hard, man! D: She like, latches on and doesn't let go until she realizes she missed the food.

I know they can see very well, since I can be clear across the room and they'll start wiggling. Sometimes Patriot notices me looking at him and he'll flare at me, even though I'm not even near his tank.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #12 
LittleBettaFish

Since me communicating with my fish is usually shouting at them to get away from the end of the siphon or else, they don't really respond to me and my idle threats.

I think a probable reason for fish responding to their names, is that they are probably responding to the unique set of vibrations for each name. If you have been feeding them while mentioning their name, the fish may come to associate that sound with the possibility of food and is therefore responding to it.

It's much the same way that my fish all respond to a tap on the front panel of their glass, because that is the sound they have come to associate with food.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #13 
CrazyDiamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettacrazygirl86 View Post
Sometimes Patriot notices me looking at him and he'll flare at me, even though I'm not even near his tank.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'll be watching tv and then turn around (I can see the fish in the reflection of the screen and they are totally fine when I am watching tv) and Floyd flares at me, every time I turn around to look at him xD like "Don't stare at me!!!" I'm like FINE GAWD! xD
CrazyDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #14 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDiamond View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'll be watching tv and then turn around (I can see the fish in the reflection of the screen and they are totally fine when I am watching tv) and Floyd flares at me, every time I turn around to look at him xD like "Don't stare at me!!!" I'm like FINE GAWD! xD
It's pretty funny! It's like they can sense that you're looking at them. My girl is a little attention hog and will just wiggle around for attention just to get you to look at her. My boy, on the other hand, is super territorial and doesn't like it when pellets are invading his home. xD He flares at them too before eating them violently.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #15 
CrazyDiamond

Quote:
It's pretty funny! It's like they can sense that you're looking at them. My girl is a little attention hog and will just wiggle around for attention just to get you to look at her. My boy, on the other hand, is super territorial and doesn't like it when pellets are invading his home. xD He flares at them too before eating them violently.
XD omg lol looking at them is offensive I guess lol but he is only like that when he's built a bubble nest, he gets really crazy and everything sets him off, everything!
Old 03-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #16 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDiamond View Post
XD omg lol looking at them is offensive I guess lol but he is only like that when he's built a bubble nest, he gets really crazy and everything sets him off, everything!
Wow. xD Mine isn't even working on a bubble nest right now and he's vicious.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #17 
CrazyDiamond

xD he's just a mean fish lol
Old 03-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #18 
Otterfun

Quote:
Wow. xD Mine isn't even working on a bubble nest right now and he's vicious.
oh, that explains the hypersensitivity and the jumping when I fed him, he was building a bubble nest.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #19 
SunshineSulie

My betta gets excited when I sit down to do homework. This week I have been doing a lot of labs for my science courses, and with me gone so often, she got all pissy. When I went to feed her she wouldn't eat, not until I came and sat at the desk her aquarium is on. Lol ol.
SunshineSulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #20 
CrazyDiamond

:D my Freddie's making a bubble nest now!
Yeah I yelled at Floyd once and it scared the crap out of him XD he was digging up the new sword plant I had put in his tank and I turned and saw and screamed "FLOYD!" like he was my naughty kid lol he darted into his cave like WOOPS! LOL Bad fish >_>