Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #11 
Option

I'm an assistant professor at a medical school (can't name on here) in the east coast here. If they allowed me to interview I would love to let you in!

Good luck in your application process!
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #12 
itsuki

everyone's post in here is warming up my heart, makes me feel abit more excited about my bettas.

valen your crowntail in your avatar is beautiful!! ive admired ct's from afar and now patiently waiting for the perfect one to pop up (i'd probably be on aquabid) but for now i just look at awesome looking ones on this site. btw what is the classification of ezria?? is that called a double ray??
itsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #13 
valen1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by logisticsguy View Post
This thread is terrific. Learning about betta really teaches lessons in marine biology, water chemistry and genetics. My daughter has a friend whose little guy 2.5 yrs didnt try to communicate much. When he came to visit us last week he saw all the fish tanks and got so excited and wouldnt stop trying to tell us all about the fish he saw. His Mom says he wants to come back so bad. Today Im going to their place to set up a 5g tank for them bringing a young HM betta with me and a care sheet. A very good day.
Aww I can only imagine the look on his face when he sees his new betta. That's a really nice thing you did for them.
valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #14 
valen1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option View Post
I'm an assistant professor at a medical school (can't name on here) in the east coast here. If they allowed me to interview I would love to let you in!

Good luck in your application process!
Thank you! That means a lot to me. I think going through the application process has helped me build up a lot of courage. At the beginning it was very difficult because all you tend to notice are the things you lack compared to other applicants. But I'm beginning to realize that I have my own accomplishments to be proud of in the past 3 years and some uniqueness to my application (like bettas!). All of the schools I plan to apply to are in the east coast (mainly FL and VA), it would be pretty interesting if I happen to end up being one of the students you interview!
Old 03-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #15 
valen1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsuki View Post
everyone's post in here is warming up my heart, makes me feel abit more excited about my bettas.

valen your crowntail in your avatar is beautiful!! ive admired ct's from afar and now patiently waiting for the perfect one to pop up (i'd probably be on aquabid) but for now i just look at awesome looking ones on this site. btw what is the classification of ezria?? is that called a double ray??
Aww thanks, he's my baby He's a black orchid CT DDR (double double ray). At least from what I've read. But, for instance, if you look at my signature, that's a pic of him when he was younger so when I bought him I didn't know he'd be a DDR... BUT if you look real closely at the pictures of the sellers, sometimes you can see the tips look like they are starting to branch so you can more or less guess that they'll be DDR. Mine went from DR to DDR in about a month. He's from jeanbetta, she (or he) has really good black orchids and is also a great seller, although usually a tad bit more expensive than the other sellers ^^;
Old 03-29-2013, 11:48 PM   #16 
chicklette

I am new to the beta world, but I do know there are 50 species of betas. I don't know them all. What does a crown tail look like and why is it called a ct?

I don't know what species Jewel is. Her picture is in my album.
chicklette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:14 AM   #17 
valen1014

Yep, there are lots of betta species! But actually, the majority of the bettas you see in this forum are all the same species which is Betta splendens. Kind of how dogs are all the same species even though a chiguagua looks so different from a poodle. Jewels and Ezria are both Betta splendens but Jewels is further classified as a Veil Tail (VT) and Ezria as a Crown Tail (CT). VTs have long flowy tails (females of course have a shorter tail), CTs have spikes at the end of their tails.

This website is awesome for learning about the different classes of bettas
http://bettysplendens.com/articles/c....imp?catid=857
Old 03-30-2013, 03:43 AM   #18 
chicklette

Thanks valen.
chicklette is offline   Reply With Quote