Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #11 
tekkguy

If my only algae was on a fake decoration, I'd totally just leave it. Helps to make it look more real.

You might want to think about decreasing your lighting to 8 hours and see if it helps it go away ... if you have anacharis growing well in that tank (I tend to have issues with it at tropical temps), you could add more ... that stuff SOAKS up nutrients.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #12 
ollief9

+1 on decreasing the lighting. About a week ago I bought a timer and set the light to come on for only 8 hours and my algae cleared up quite quickly.
I also have quite a few 'hitchhiker' snails in my tank and they help keep the algae off the leaves. It's just a shame that they breed so much.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #13 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
If my only algae was on a fake decoration, I'd totally just leave it. Helps to make it look more real.

You might want to think about decreasing your lighting to 8 hours and see if it helps it go away ... if you have anacharis growing well in that tank (I tend to have issues with it at tropical temps), you could add more ... that stuff SOAKS up nutrients.
The Anacharis started out as a tiny, whispy stem that I got from someone here on the forums. I didn't have high hopes for it, but it quickly grew so tall that I had to cut it and plop the cutting in the sand. They're both growing like crazy now.

I will decrease the light and see what that does.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #14 
Tikibirds

I had an issue with algae on my plants, added in an apple snail and BOOM, algae is gone and the snail is now the size of a golfball. Its only been in the tank like a month
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #15 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
I had an issue with algae on my plants, added in an apple snail and BOOM, algae is gone and the snail is now the size of a golfball. Its only been in the tank like a month
Ooooh, I'd love to see pictures of that fatty snail!! :P
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #16 
Laki

I actually like the look of algae on my driftwood. I can get a pic tomorrow (I am also on reduced lighting hours so the light is now off)

The algae sticks straight up even though the water is calm. I LOVE it!! I also need money to get more plants to help clear up my algae a bit. I want some though, is that weird? lol
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #17 
Tikibirds

To think he is only about 3 months old and already THAT big. There are also some trapdoor snails in there and he/she is almost as big as they are. I think the snail eats all the pleco's cucumber

I think it depends on the type of algae..I get the icky brown stuff but my sister somehow manages to grow the moss like algae (looks like the stuff for a moss ball) and that looks nice. Although I wouldn't want her water quality with her 2 goldfish and no water changes

Bristlenose plecos are supposed to be pretty awsome at algae eatting too, or at least that's what I have been told.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 03-28-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #18 
Naladari

I love my nerites, I also love my sulwasi snail. They do wonders with the algae.
Naladari is offline   Reply With Quote