Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #11 
jadaBlu

That doesn't look good. I would have a few others look but this sounds like:

Bacterial Infection/Open Red Sores
•Symptoms: Betta has open red sores or red patches (that aren’t ammonia burns), lethargy, no apetite, clamped, sits at bottom or top, color loss.
•Treatment: Perform daily 100% water changes and clean the gravel thoroughly (at least 3/4 water change for larger tanks). Treat the entire tank. Treat conservatively with Aq.Salt at 1-2tsp/gal but do not continue for more than 10 days. If that fails, use API Tetracycline, API Erythromycin, API Triple Sulfa OR Mardel’s Maracyn I & II. PP is also effective.

Lack of water changes are what contribute to this. In small bowl you need to do constant changes. I will post a cheap alternative to your bowl if your fish gets better. I think he is beyond the conservative treatment stage though.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #12 
popcorndeer

i dont know if this will work but do you have any aquarium salt??
popcorndeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #13 
bettacrazygirl86

I saw the picture on the facebook page you linked to. Poor guy! That looks horrible. D: Bettafix is pretty bad, from what I've heard. Anything with the word "fix" in it, the members are usually against. If it's at all possible, I would upgrade him to something a bit bigger. The bowl is probably only a gallon, and cleaning only once a week isn't enough to keep the water as clean as it should be. Petsmart has some cheap Kritter Keepers of different sizes. I have one that's called a large sized KK, and it holds 3 gallons of water. Not saying you should get a 3 gallon, but I'm sure he'd appreciate the space. The medium sized one holds 2 gallons, I think. Also, I would get a heater of some kind (preferably adjustable, so you can set the temperature. The preset ones only heat to 78, or so they say) and a thermometer. The ideal temperature range for bettas is 78 to 84. Some bettas like it colder and some like it warmer, so it really depends on your betta. My boy betta lies 84, my girl likes 80 and my sister's boy likes 82. So it all varies, but it's generally all around the same range.

Clean, warm water (with the conditioner) should at least start helping a little bit. I've been treating my sister's sick fish and I've already seen a big improvement in just two days of having clean, warm water.

If you choose to keep him in the 1 gallon bowl, I think you should do water changes about every other day. I'm not sure what other members would recommend, but I would do 50% water changes every other day and a 100% at the end of the week. I'm pretty sure the other members might recommend more, but that's what I think could be done. It would at least be an improvement. :) For example, in my 3 gallon, I do 50% water changes on Monday and 100% water changes on Friday. I pick specific days, so it doesn't sneak up on me and I'm surprised that I have to do one. I even set calendar alerts in my phone to let me know when I need to do them. xD

I really do hope he gets better. That looks pretty bad. :(
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #14 
xjenuhfur

I would start treating with aquarium salt (not table salt) at a dosage of 1-2tsp per gallon, 100% changes daily, for a max of 10 days. Seems whatever he had burst and/or lets try to prevent a secondary infection. (:

I would have to also recommend a larger tank (petco/smart sells a rectangular 2.5 for $14) and a heater for your little buddy there. Heaters for a smaller tank are usually preset and heat the tank to approx. 78, and are about as expensive as the tank (I bought my smaller one for $12). Don't forget to pick up a thermometer! ($3)
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #15 
Matilda

It looks like a bacterial ulcer to me. Most likely caused by dirty water. 100% water changes every 2 weeks is not nearly enough. Right now you should be doing 50% changes at least every other day.
Matilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #16 
jadaBlu

Read disease and treatment 1 in this section there something about ulcers and sores. I think that is what you need to see. Be sure to read the first part of the section about water changes. I will post info about a cheap cat safe container later you could get.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #17 
tekkguy

Clean, clean, warm water with frequent changes and I would start Maracyn II or even Tetracycline right away. Aquarium salt wouldn't be a bad idea, but if you can start the antibiotics now, you should. Even if it's not infected at the moment, it soon will be.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote