Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2013, 01:29 AM   #1 
marktrc

got blue green algae in my non-soil planted tank

i got blue green algae in my non-soil 55 gal planted tank. the bottom is black sand. some plants are planted and some are tied to driftwood or rocks.

i was wondering if i could get some real life suggestions on how to deal with this problem. i have done alot of research and everyone disagrees with each other on how to deal with it.

there is alot of bioload because i use it as a growout tank.

i wanted to try peroxide as spot treatment but my sand is black so its really hard to see. if i dont get the sand patches i think it pretty much rules out using peroxide.

i been experimenting with light. seems like more light speeds up the growth of the blue green algae but too little light will be bad for my plants.
marktrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

If its the type I had, I changed my lights to come on for 3 hrs then off for 3 then back on for 7 & added nerite snails. I had the problem bad in 2 10g tanks. They are both crystal clear now.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:41 PM   #3 
PaulO

Some people suggest bumping up the flow so there are no "dead spots" in the tank.
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #4 
VJM

Google "One Two Punch Algae". Totally took care of my tank, and no scary chemicals. Good ol' hydrogen peroxide.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

H2O2 can be scary XD I took my betta out for the treatment. :P it melted my HM carpet >.>
it's a ymmv for that treatment :D

Honestly if it's just BGA, I'd get a small airline siphon and siphon the area and introduce more flow
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #6 
VJM

Oh I forgot to say to take out fish/snails/shrimps! Terrible. My pond snails and copeopods did fine, but why risk it? Plan on keeping them out for a good hour or so.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

I had a scud shoot out from the substrate like it was on fire or something, except it was on "bubbles" instead lol. I think it died >.>
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:43 AM   #8 
marktrc

thanks for all the replies. i think i will up the flow in my tank but the problem is that its a 55 gal and it is a grow out tank. im thinking about buying a hydor powerhead.

http://www.hydor.com/prodotti/show/famprod/47/list/14

i think i will get the 240 even though it is for a smaller tank. im hoping it will be enough to not blow half inch fry all over the place but provide enough circulation to stop the BGA. i also have 2 airstones going and 2 foam filters.

if anyone has experience with these nanos and can tell me if the 425 would be better then let me know pls.

my tank was infested so i ended up doing a 3 day treatment of maracyn and 5 days of black out. it looks like it got all of it but i could be wrong. i hope the powerhead will help so that it doesnt come back.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:22 AM   #9 
marktrc

just finished reading the one two punch. I will definately try that if my bga comes back. tyvm.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #10 
marktrc

so far since i cleaned the tank and removed a big drift wood in the middle of the tank, i dont see any BGA growing back. knock on wood. the plants are so much healthier looking for some reason. really green and perky. i have not bought the circulation pump yet but someone with experience with the hydor 240 told me it should be enough. ill update later when i get the hydor.