Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #1 
Allirane

Is my Betta bloated?

I have had Thyeo about a week now (love him to death!) and am wondering if he is bloated or just a bit tubby. He is so active and swims around, with no lethargy and has wonderful color. I feed him every day a pellet or two and a few flakes (his tank mates like the flakes) and he seems to be just comfortable. Happy even! :)

I am just curious as to if I need to do the pea thing. I have attached the picture of my man :)

Thanks!

AllieRane
Attached Images

Allirane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:37 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

When was the pic taken in relation to feeding? 2 pellets isn't much & if he's eating the other fishes flakes he may be over eating.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #3 
DoctorWhoLuver

Yes, he does look bloated. I wouldn't feed him a pea, although I would fast him and possibly treat him with epsom salt. (1 tsp per gallon)
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #4 
Allirane

He's been like that since I got him (maybe he's gotten a bit chubbier due to my want for his cuteness). It was taken just after he ate. He likes to pose for the camera. :)
Old 03-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #5 
Allirane

Is he okay? I know this might sound silly, but will he die? Does he look like he's in pain or anything? :S
Old 03-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

Can you take another photo tomorrow right before you feed him, and post it? This will show us what he looks like before eating.

Also, how often does he poop? What color is it? Is it kind of cinnamon colored, white or stringy, etc?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:04 PM   #7 
Allirane

The last time I saw him poop was yesterday and it was a greenish/brown color. I thought it looked quite normal. Wasn't stringy or anything. The thing is I have been watching for his pooping schedule (as weird as that sounds.). My dog used to have a problem with constipation and I am worried about Thyeo.

I can take another photo sure! I actually have other ones from a few days ago if that would help. He's a ham :)

Thank you for the advice!
Old 03-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #8 
Myates

CTs are more streamlined and can easily look/become more bloated than normal. He isn't bad.. can fast him for a day if you wish. But don't need to do any treatment on him. Most likely he is snacking on the flakes you are feeding the other fish.. these guys are pigs and will eat themselves silly. What size tank and what other fish are in there?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:59 PM   #9 
Allirane

He's in a 5.5 gallon with two small guppies and a mystery snail. Now, I know this is not really going to make many people happy, but I do weekly water changes and am constantly making sure everything is kosher.

I do not have the money to go all gung-ho on huge aquariums for everything, but having these wonderful pets is actually part of some mental health therapy. So, yeah. I know it is not ideal, but they have plenty of space and are happy. I am worried people will be upset with me, but I have had fish before and done quite well with 5.5 gallons.

Sorry to go off topic! :)
Old 03-29-2013, 12:39 AM   #10 
PetMania

I think that 5.5 gallons is okay. 10g is ideal, but that's just my opinion. you are doing fine. I have never had to use epsom salt, so i do not know the requirements. all i know is to NEVER use peas. Good Luck !
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote