Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-12-2008, 08:20 PM   #11 
lariboo

Question His new home is here! Few questions...

Well, thanks so much for all the advice and everything! His new home is coming together.
I am setting up the 10 gallon tank as we speak to cycle it.
I am lucky enough to have a great little fish store downtown that will test my water for me for free, so no need to buy tests. Also, they are helping me cycle. Right now, I am putting water softener or conditioner in, and some coating or something? Also, the guy was so great. He tried out all of my stuff that I bought to make sure it would work and work well for my betta. This fish store treats their fish like kings and queens. So spoiled, which I love about it. Also, they do not try to rip you. They reccommend what you need, only.
Anyway, I was going to buy some silk plants, but after reading some stuff, I have decided to try to go for the real.
I live in Michigan, and was wondering where I should order from. Anyone have a good place online?
So, I have a 10 gallon hexagon tank, with a heater and low current filter. I will be having a few fish in there to cycle with, and then Amo, my betta.
So which plants should I buy, how much, and where from? And how do I quarantine them?

Please let me know anything else that I may forget about setting my tank up. I am getting excited. Everything is being thoroughly cleaned in vinegar as we speak. :}
lariboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:43 PM   #12 
lariboo

To update you all: Amo passed away 2 days ago. He was sick looking, and when we transferred him to the new tank, he was fine for about 1 hour, then was on the bottom of the tank... I was horrified and cried for hours. I miss him terribly, but we refuse to stop trying to save Betta's. He lived for almost a year, being a Meijer fish, we think that is not too bad.
lariboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:10 PM   #13 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about Amo.It sounds like he had a good home with lots of love while you had him.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:11 AM   #14 
Kim

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that . At least he had a good home with you for the remainder of his life. I like to rescue fish too, and I have my own arsenal of medications for every common ailment by now! At least another betta will be rescued and have a wonderful home.

My one suggestion is to quarantine the new arrival in a bare bottomed quarantine tank with fake decorations. I say bare bottomed because that way you can monitor poops to make sure he isn't infected with internal parasites, and fake decorations because most meds will kill your real plants. But, you will need a heater because bringing an already compromised betta into a cold environment is likely to kill him. Good luck.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:52 AM   #15 
iamntbatman

If you are getting another betta, make sure you keep the tank cycled until you can add him or the bacteria will die off.

Also: how long did you have the tank set up before you added the betta? What fish were you using to cycle it? How did you acclimate the betta to the new tank? If you set up the tank only on the 12th and the betta was added on the 14th, the tank was not likely cycled. The aquarium cycle usually takes anywhere from two weeks to two months. For some reason, a lot of fish stores will tell you to let a new tank cycle for 48 hours before adding fish; 48 hours isn't long enough to get anything except maybe an ammonia spike. If you were using hardy fish like zebra danios to cycle the tank, it's likely that there was a lot of ammonia in the water when your betta was added which could have stressed him.

I'm very sorry for your loss - I just get a feeling that your fish store may have given you some bad information which could have contributed to the death of your fish.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:36 AM   #16 
Kim

Good point. I didn't even notice that at all - I just assumed that the tank was cycled. Definitely something to investigate further before bringing any new fish home. Do you have a test kit? If so, what are your readings?
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote