Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #1 
colorxmexravyne

Help me ID this snail? [pictures!]

After learning that the PH was too low in my 2.5 gal for snails to be happy in, I decided to drop my MTS back into the 5 gal that they had originally been in. When I opened the lid, I noticed a snail hanging out on the inside of it. At first, I thought it was a MTS, but it didn't have the long shell that's usually associated with them. Then I thought, "oh, must be a pond snail?" Except I completely eradicated those little guys from my tank a while back and haven't introduced anything new to the tank in at least a good month. Besides that, it didn't *really* look like a pond snail, or not one that I've ever seen.

This was from when I initially took the little guy out and tried to ID him myself. Notice his antennae aren't quite like those of a pond snail.

These are from when I plopped him into one of my snail bowls. Apparently, the little guy isn't really a fan of water? Remember, when I found him he wasn't *in* the actual water column, but instead on the lid. I put him in the snail bowl, and 30 minutes later when I went to check on him, he was again above the water line. I've been watching him for about two hours now and that's where he stays - above the water line.

Also, just to clear this up, my water parameters are all good - 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 5 to 10ppm nitrates depending on what tank/bowl I'm testing.

These are pictures of two examples of the two different species of pond snail (and a baby!) I pulled out of my betta's old one gallon bowl (which has accidentally been turned into a pond snail breeding bowl; there has to be at least 20 adults in there.)

Both species have darker bodies and long, thin antennae. They also move incredibly fast (for a snail, anyway) and are aquatic. This unknown snail possesses none of these qualities, which is why I don't think it's a pond snail...or at least not one that I currently own.

So, any guesses anyone? Is this even an aquatic snail? Or did I somehow get a land snail in my tank?

Last edited by colorxmexravyne; 03-29-2013 at 02:40 PM.
colorxmexravyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #2 
popcorndeer

he looks like the snails i find outside in my yard lol
popcorndeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #3 
Xaltd1

He (she?) does look like a pond snail. They tend to hang around the water's edge.
We had ponds around our house growing up (in NE Mass.) and we brought them in to use for cleanup in our tropical guppy tank. The fish usually ate the eggs, but we kept a steady supply from the pond.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #4 
colorxmexravyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaltd1 View Post
He (she?) does look like a pond snail. They tend to hang around the water's edge.
We had ponds around our house growing up (in NE Mass.) and we brought them in to use for cleanup in our tropical guppy tank. The fish usually ate the eggs, but we kept a steady supply from the pond.
...really? (S)he doesn't look anything like the pond snails that I have. The ones I have do hang out around the waterline sometimes, but they go back underwater at some point. This snail stays well above the water line at all times.

I googled 'garden snail' and it looks a lot more like one of those than a pond snail, but I'll do a little more research. Thanks!
Old 03-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #5 
Xaltd1

Garden snails are larger and completely terrestrial; basically slugs w/shells.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #6 
colorxmexravyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaltd1 View Post
Garden snails are larger and completely terrestrial; basically slugs w/shells.
Which is why I assumed it was a younger garden snail, or something similar.

For clarification, you are talking about the snail in the first three pictures right? Not the last two (which are pond snails!)? Because, I dunno, I'm not convinced yet.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #7 
Xaltd1

Could be, I guess! That's the problem w/ "hitchhikers"!
The only sure way is to let it grow up- garden snails get huge & live for a longer time.
Check out Wikipedia; I did, but it didn't clear anything up (for me) but you may find the info useful.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #8 
Artemis

Yes they do look like baby snails from outside but also a potential Nerite or yes a general classification of Pond Snail
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #9 
Matilda

Def. not a Nerite. It looks nothing like one. It could be some type of Pond snail but I'm thinking it's a land snail.
Matilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #10 
Artemis

Get a little "betta" bowl or a betta cup from PetCo (they have larger ones, other places are to small) and fill half with terrarium moss or coconut husk/hermit crab substrate and the other with water and some small plant or leaf like java fern and a small frag of an algae pellet. Put the snail in there and cover with seran wrap with small holes for air but it will keep it moist. Watch it. The snail will either stay on land or in water but you allow good habitats in each and find out what it is.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote