Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #1 
bettacrazygirl86

Letter to Petsmart. Input?

So after my recent experiences at Petsmart recently and with the urging of a few other members on here, I've decided to write a letter to Petsmart. I'm going to tell of my experiences there, the conditions of the fish, and show them my fish and tell them how my fish are doing and what I do to keep them happy and healthy. A member recommended I also make a list of instructions on how to care for bettas, since everything in the betta brochure is a lie.

I wanted to know what your guys' input was and what you think I should include or not include. I plan on attaching pictures of my fish, to show how well they're doing. I would also like to include pictures of fish from the store. This is where you guys come in. :) I'd like to have a collection of pictures you guys take of bettas in different stores. I may or may not make this a letter to the company itself, and include the towns the stores are located in, just to show how bad it is all over and that it isn't just ONE store mistreating the bettas.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #2 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettacrazygirl86 View Post
So after my recent experiences at Petsmart recently and with the urging of a few other members on here, I've decided to write a letter to Petsmart. I'm going to tell of my experiences there, the conditions of the fish, and show them my fish and tell them how my fish are doing and what I do to keep them happy and healthy. A member recommended I also make a list of instructions on how to care for bettas, since everything in the betta brochure is a lie.

I wanted to know what your guys' input was and what you think I should include or not include. I plan on attaching pictures of my fish, to show how well they're doing. I would also like to include pictures of fish from the store. This is where you guys come in. :) I'd like to have a collection of pictures you guys take of bettas in different stores. I may or may not make this a letter to the company itself, and include the towns the stores are located in, just to show how bad it is all over and that it isn't just ONE store mistreating the bettas.

As a PetSmart employee, I say you go Bettacrazygirl86!. My store actually does have employees who really do care, and are passionate about animals. But, I was thinking about it and looking at all the cups with betta's in them thinking.... WOW! The cups are clean, and the fish well fed, but are we really considering their psychological health? There is more to health than physical health. You have males all up looking at each other, you have no stimulation, etc... The other fish in the store are treated better because they are given space and stimulation.

Have you tried to talk with the store manager? Ask to talk with the store manager and Pet Care manager at the PetSmart you are concerned about. I would inform them that you are concerned and that you are writing a letter to the corporate office and regional manager. (Which I would write to both if I were you).

As for the brochure, it is incorrect but many have errors in them. They are written by "experts" and I don't think you will see them being willing to change them without a massive petition (but, if every member on here signed one it would wake them up).
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #3 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
As a PetSmart employee, I say you go Bettacrazygirl86!. My store actually does have employees who really do care, and are passionate about animals. But, I was thinking about it and looking at all the cups with betta's in them thinking.... WOW! The cups are clean, and the fish well fed, but are we really considering their psychological health? There is more to health than physical health. You have males all up looking at each other, you have no stimulation, etc... The other fish in the store are treated better because they are given space and stimulation.

Have you tried to talk with the store manager? Ask to talk with the store manager and Pet Care manager at the PetSmart you are concerned about. I would inform them that you are concerned and that you are writing a letter to the corporate office and regional manager. (Which I would write to both if I were you).

As for the brochure, it is incorrect but many have errors in them. They are written by "experts" and I don't think you will see them being willing to change them without a massive petition (but, if every member on here signed one it would wake them up).
When I was last in Petsmart, the MANAGER told me I didn't need to buy a heater for my bettas. I went on a rant about it in my other thread that I posted before, where another member told me I should write the letter. :) She said 84 degrees was too hot, I don't need a heater, and they don't need that much space. All I said was I was looking for a heater for my bettas because I was getting them a 10 gallon to divide.

I don't get why they recommend those horrible (and cheap) .5 gallon bowls and the crappiest kind of water conditioner and food when they HAVE Prime and Omega One in the store, for more money. If I were an employee, I'd be recommending all kinds of stuff and making the store a bunch of money.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #4 
NeptunesMom

Was it a store manager or just a manager? There are 7 managers at my PetSmart, one is Pet Care Manager and one is Store Manager. Almost all the managers work throughout the store in different areas (excluding Pets Hotel and Grooming). That means you may have been dealing with a manager who was not pet care manager or store manager. If so, then those two managers need to know to educate that other manager. The other managers may not know much about pet care, or may have been trained in pet care many years ago.

I will say, some of the people who do not keep betta's at my store are poorly educated. They are not trying to share incorrect information, but one suggested a small tank because bigger would cause betta's to drown. He thought he was helping the fish. Better education of the employees is important I think. Maybe if you approached if from that perspective you will get a good response. But, if you really want your letter to be taken seriously you do need more letters, not just pictures. Businesses know not every customer will be happy, it's when they fear it will hurt their profits that they take notice. If you could gather letters from people detailing their experiences, that might actually do something. Or even a petition would work better.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #5 
bettacrazygirl86

That's what I'm hoping to do with this thread. :) Get input from others, pictures, and stories. Maybe even convince some other people to write to their own petstores. I've heard Petco is pretty bad too, though I don't go in there often. We don't have one nearby. Last time I was in Petco was over a year ago.

I THINK the manager I talked to was the store manager. I called on the phone before hand and one manager said she was going to be leaving since her shift is over, but I could ask for this other lady and she could help me, since she's the store manager.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

I recently had a conversation with a Petsmart employee who WAS knowledgeable about fish, including bettas. I congratulated him on not putting the tiny 0.5 gal bowls directly underneath the betta cups, as the implication is that 0.5 gal is OK for a betta. He replied, "Yeah, I keep moving them, but corporate always makes me put them back eventually." He explained that its the CORPORATE HEADQUARTERS that requires them to sell the 0.5 gal tanks, and mandates that the store stock the bowls in the same display as the fish.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #7 
bettacrazygirl86

But that doesn't mean they should recommend buying one. :( I have known one or two employees at Petsmart that actually were knowledgeable, but the rest of them at my Petsmart are either rude or clueless.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #8 
koincidenskis

Since Petsmart is a business and they still want to make money I think one of the better ways to approach this is tell them what they should sell.

Basically think in terms if you were allowed in Petsmart to build a display for the bettas what would you have? Suggest a small pocket for brochures on proper betta care. Display tanks that are 2.5gallons (as most people here agree that is the minimum. I also understand others keep their bettas in 1 gallons, but please do not reply to my post and discuss this). Display the mini heaters, thermometers, food, and correct decorations.

Again this is completely a suggestion in order to add maybe at the end of your letter. Good luck!
koincidenskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #9 
trilobite

Try to keep emotion out of it and stick to facts, and give references to those facts. Otherwise they will be less likely to take you seriously
You could recommend they use something like this to keep their Bettas in, this is what almost all petshops in nz use.

That way they get warm, clean water and they can still keep multiple Bettas. They could put 2 in each tank or something. Sure the Bettas dont get a lot of space but they are only short term
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote