Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2013, 09:26 PM   #1 
SunshineSulie

Exclamation Epson Salt

Hello. I have a video I posted in a post below this about my betta being bloated.

I think she may just be genetically predisposed to bloating... And I do not really have the money to spend on the good brands of betta food. I buy her Aqueon Naturals now.

Anyway. I also read somewhere that she may have a parasite and that could cause bloating...

If I put epson salt in her 2.5 gallon tank to help her out, I have a few questions...

Can I use any sort of brand, even human stuff?

How much would I put in her tank?

How often should I change her water after putting the salt in?

How often should I dose her with the salt?

How long should I do this?
SunshineSulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:28 PM   #2 
SunshineSulie

this is the link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6shZ...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #3 
Allirane

I was told to stay away from salt. Have you tried fasting her instead? That's what I am doing with my Thyeo. He's chubby too (a part of my own fault and when I got him a week ago).

I was also told NOT to use peas since they are not in their natural diet. Plus, this includes fasting anyways. But, I am by no means an expert. Make sure to do your research.

She's so springy! Cute :)

Last edited by Allirane; 03-29-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Allirane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #4 
ANHEL123

She is so cute. How many pellets you feeding her and how often? She is a little bloated abut it can be from overfeeding. If she is bloated from overfeeding you don't need to use Epsom salt.
Epsom salt is very helpful in buoyancy , constipation, internal parasites,sbd but before using it we need to find out the reason she is bloated. Also how much water you cahnges in her 2.5 gall and how often?
For the future you need unscented epsom salt and you have to pre mix it and make sure it dissolved and you can use 1-3tsp / gall usually with daily 100% water changes .
If it would be internal parasites she would have white,clear,stringy, wormy poop. She would be bloated and usually bettas get pretty sick and lethargic in short period of time
How long you have her and did she get like that before?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:58 PM   #5 
SunshineSulie

She is beautiful, isn't she?? (Proud betta mommy here :P ).

I feed her 2 pellets a day. I used to feet her 5, but I think that was way too much, because she used to be MUCH LARGER. One days where I feed her a frozen bloodworm, I only give her one pellet.

I feed her every day, and give her one fasting day. Also, about once a week I give her a flake, because she will get "tired" of the same food, and I think she likes the variety, or it could just be me thinking that.

I change her 2/5 gallon with a 100% once a week and a 50% once a week.

No stringy poop. Actually, since I have her in this tank is the first time I have ever seen her poop. She used to be perpetually constipated.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:19 PM   #6 
ANHEL123

You don't really feed her too much you right. She probably constipated. People saying that frozen daphnia is good for the constipation. Try to find it in the store . Don't give her 2 pellets at once , may be one in the morning and one in the evening.
About peas i am not sure some people don't really recommending it. So try if you can find frozen daphnia .
If she will not get better for long time you can really try Epsom salt. We all learned about salt from Oldfishlady and she even said that Epsom salt can be used indefinitely for chronic constipation (in lower dose 1tsp/gall).
But Epsom salt (unscented)so you have it in case you need to use it. And like i wrote you need always pre mix it and make sure it dissolved before you put it in the tank. It better to do in one gall jug if you can. You can use 1tsp/gall for first few days and then increase it to 2tsp/gall see if it helps.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:23 PM   #7 
SunshineSulie

Thanks for the hints! I do lake sampling for my major and always find daphnia in there. Would wild daphnia from the lakes be too little for her to see?

I thought about taking some the other day and decided against it. Lake conditions are good, higher mercury content than wanted, but that is about the only issue I have found in my samplings...
Old 03-29-2013, 10:36 PM   #8 
ANHEL123

sorry i am not sure wait for other people to answer that.
I want to mention also make sure you acclimate her to the new water temperature when you do 100% water changes.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #9 
LittleBlueFishlets

OK, from reading the posts above, it sounds like:
  • you feed her two Aqueon pellets per day. (Or one pellet and one bloodworm.) Once a week, she gets one flake.
  • She's in a 2.5 gal tank, with one 100% and one 50% water change per week.
  • there is "no stringy poop"

Is all of that correct? What is the water temp? It should be around 79F, give or take a few degrees.

She definitely looks bloated in the video, but there is no sign of swimming issues, which is good.

I used to feed my guys Aqueon pellets, until one of my fish became constipated, bloated and had buoyancy issues. I put him in Epsom salt and fasted him. Once the bloating went down, I switched all my guys over to Omega One. I have not had an issue since.

I realize that money is tight... but IMO, getting a quality food (something like New Life Spectrum pellets or Omega One Betta Buffet pellets) is worth the expense. One bottle of Omega One costs $3.99, and it will last a really long time. NLS is just slightly more expensive, and is available at Petco.

Aqueon is not a bad food. But it does contain more grain than the Omega One and NLS brands. Grains can cause constipation and bloating, especially if a fish is prone to this. Since you are not overfeeding her, it's possible that she is sensitive to the grains, which cause her to become bloated.

Feeding just 2 pellets per day is definitely not overfeeding. (I feed all of my fish more than this.) So if she's still bloated on this small amount of food, it could be that the Aqueon food doesn't agree with her. Also, since she is pooping normally, I would not feed daphnia at this time.

So, that said, here is what I would do, if this was my fish:
  1. Switch to a food that has less grain. I recommend getting either New Life Spectrum pellets or Omega One Betta Buffet pellets.
  2. Monitor her poop. Normal poop's color depends on what they're being fed, so it should be similar to the color of his food. If it's blobby, that indicates constipation. If it becomes white or stringy that *may* indicate a problem that requires more investigation.
  3. I would not use Epsom salt just yet, as she's pooping normally and not having buoyancy issues. I think a change to a higher protein food will relieve the bloating. If she remains bloated though, then I'd add Epsom salt (1 teaspoon per gallon, completely predissolved). Only replace the Epsom salt with your regular water change schedule. (Don't add more in between water changes. Salts don't evaporate. They remain in the water.)

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 03-29-2013 at 10:44 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #10 
SunshineSulie

Thank you so much for your information and tips!

What you said is completely correct in how I feed her and such.

I am home for Easter break, and of course brought Sunshine home for the 2 hour trip. While I am here, I can use my loving mother to help me tend to my lovely fish... Lol ol. What else is a spoiled only child to do with a poor little betta and a college budget?!?

Anyway, thanks so much! I think I will be looking into getting some daphnia for free from my lakes out by college (my county has over 200 lakes, so I shouldn't find a shortage of variety) on top of switching brands.

Thanks again, you have been super helpful. :)