Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #151 
Myates

You can start it yourself, and if it goes smoothly, can request to have it stickied :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:52 PM   #152 
SunshineSulie

Ah, man. I want to follow this and get updates. Man. I can not WAIT to see these beautiful babies!

So excited, wish I wasn't going to Alaska for 5 months and wish I didn't live in a dorm and wish I had A LOT of money so I could have A LOT of bettas. :)
SunshineSulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:07 AM   #153 
Xaltd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSulie View Post
Ah, man. I want to follow this and get updates. Man. I can not WAIT to see these beautiful babies!

So excited, wish I wasn't going to Alaska for 5 months and wish I didn't live in a dorm and wish I had A LOT of money so I could have A LOT of bettas. :)
Take the trip while you can!!!!

When you get out of college & start on your career, it will be tough to find time to travel. Don't worry; once you have a job, you will have money for the bettas & will be able to come home to them; they are much more forgiving of a hectic lifestyle than a cat/dog/bird. True, they need maintenance, but you can use nights/weekends for that. ENJOY your freedom while you can. I PROMISE we'll have lots of bettas for you when you get settled! Take this time to decide what is your favorite color patterns, learn about betta care, & plan your ideal tank. And enjoy Alaska!!!!
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:06 PM   #154 
SunshineSulie

I am glad I get the chance to go to Alaska, but sad I have to leave my betta!

Thanks for the kind words. I am just looking forward to adult life now that it is somewhat in my sights, you know???
Old 04-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #155 
Mahsfish

Same, I cannot wait to see what the fry turn out like.
Mahsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:04 AM   #156 
bettacrazygirl86

I'm going to still follow this thread despite how badly I want one of those babies. :( Must. Resist. Temptation.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:45 PM   #157 
dramaqueen
Banned

Can we see some pics?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:32 AM   #158 
marktrc

which were you culling? since they are so small, what are you looking for? swim bladder?

also what are you feeding them and what is your feed schedule like?

Last edited by marktrc; 04-08-2013 at 02:35 AM.
marktrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #159 
SunshineSulie

Would love to see some pictures!!
Old 04-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #160 
Myates

I know.. I've been slacking in the picture department! Will get some real soon, I promise!

Update though - heavy culling left me with about 60-75 total..

Then last weekend during water changes I accidentally had the filters shaken/knocked over which released a bunch of waste/old food in the water.. the Ancistrus plecos love the tube in the top of the sponge filter and would get stuck.. so trying to remove them is when the filters released the gunk.. I did a large water change at the time, roughly 80%. The next day I started seeing some in both tanks go vertical at the very top.. did a small water change and vacuum up the gunk that settled. The day after that I started seeing dead fry.. 2.. 3 in the morning. Which for this spawn is very rare. Had only ran across roughly 4-5 dead bodies in the first 2 months so having multiple dead bodies, even just 2-3, was a bad sign.

Saw a couple scratching as well.. figured the gunk got into/onto them too much and was affecting them. Did another large water change.. but found more dead bodies throughout the day and the next morning. So I set up a 10g quickly with AQ salt (1tsp per gal) and put all the babies in there for treatment and then broke down the 29gs. They stayed in the 10g for roughly 5 days for treatment.

In the end I lost about 9 babies total.. :( That had been my die off for this spawn.. a stupid mistake.

Now they are back in the 29s.. I divided them up and put the largest, healthiest ones in the top 29 - about 30 of them. They are doing great and getting big.
The bottom 29 is housing my "special needs" ones.. ones that are runts or swim a little off, etc. Those are the ones that will be getting culled first as I go along. Most are healthy looking, just rather small and would be picked on by the larger ones in the other tank.

Live plants, plecos, IAL, 80F and they are happy as can be.. in a week or so I'll go through the bottom tank and see how they are fairing. Cull any that are still "not quite right" from the scare.. let the little ones grow still as you never know, maybe some will have a growth spurt and I'll have a diamond in the rough. Picked up a 5g tank today for $2.50, so can use that for a couple of runts that I want to continue growing down the road.

But yeah, I'll get some pictures taken this weekend and show you all :) They are all very light bodied - taking after their mother. Some are showing signs of white dragon scaling, others are very shiny with blue/green cellophane. Some have clear/white fins, some red and some blue.. also a mix of blue/clear, and blue red butterfly patterns. Some seem to have blue at the base and red outer pattern.. so who knows! So far I don't see any purple like the mom, but right now they aren't too vivid so will be a bit before I know for sure.

I realized the mistakes I made with this spawn - as it was a very large spawn, things that work fine with smaller spawns didn't work so well with this one and it caused them to be a bit stunted. That much hormone in the water was too much.. so they are taking a bit longer to grow, but getting there.

Last edited by Myates; 04-12-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote