Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2013, 12:39 AM   #31 
Xaltd1

Yes; I QT'd my 3 new fish in a 10 gal w/ 1 heater & the fish in those tiny "betta keeepers" they sell @ Walmart. I could see that it would work for awhile if you had boys.
I want as few tanks as possible; I've just created a 11 fish femle sorority in a 29 gallon tank & split a 10 gallon for my 2 males. I have 1 5-gallon hex for my RCS farm.
This is a huge improvement over having two 2.5 gallons for each male & a 5 gallon w/ a few females and shrimp being eaten!
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #32 
Shadyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaltd1 View Post
I added 9 at once- once. I lost 3. Ouch. I'm adding 3 as I type... I QT'd them this time. We shall see what happens this w/e.
^^^^^^

That's why I am of the opinion to not add so many at once. Of my original 9, I'm pretty sure that three of them stressed out and fell prey to opportunistic infections. Another also got sick and got so weak she became trapped on the filter intake. She will never be able to rejoin because her lip was damaged, but she's recovered and is doing fine in a small tank by herself.

I'm thinking adding that many at once changed the water parameters too much, and while the tank itself is perfectly capable of handling that many fish, fast changing water parameters can stress healthy fish and kill less healthy ones.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #33 
Xaltd1

Yes- too many female bettas at once killed my cory cats as well as the bettas.

One of my newly-purchased "females" turned out to be a juvenile male!!!! He started chasing & the girls started nipping back- I pulled him out, a little worse for wear. Now I have to figure out what to do with him! I like him, but I can't have another male at this point.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #34 
kimt

Hi guys a bit of an update...I haven't gotten very far. My mom is in the hospital an hour away so the sorority has taken a backseat. I had a tank and some dirt. I returned the tank to petsmart and went to petco today to rebuy the same tank (20 gallon long) as the sale on tanks made it half the price I paid. I didn't get a tank today because I couldn't decide what to get. The 20 gallon long is $20 but doesn't include anything. Petco had a 20 gallon (not long) deluxe kit that included a hood, filter, thermometer, and heater for $100. Trying to add up in my head, it seems that is a better price than doing the 20 gallon long even on sale once I added all that in separately. I didn't buy it today...wanted to sleep on it. I've been reading up on planting and cycling tanks while I sit at the hospital with mom. I'm doing no more than 8 girls because I want a few other fish. 5-6 tetras and maybe a couple of cories but I haven't tested my water yet to know what would work best. I'm shooting for july to get the sorority going. I want to buy all the girls at once and keep them separated for a week or so before putting them in the sorority together to make sure none of them are sick. I'm shooting for july so I can keep them outside on my covered porch and avoid having to buy 8 more heaters just to use for a week or so. I think this will work as the climate here in southwest ohio in july is pretty much the same as Thailand (I lived there for 3 years) and should be warm enough for them. Also thinking about getting a 10 gallon for the two boys and cycling it so I won't have to do as much water changes. That's where I am now. Still in the research phase. Hoping that once my mom is out of the hospital (she has been there 4 weeks now) I will have some time to start planting the tank and work on getting it cycled. Then maybe get the smaller fish to put in it until I buy the girls this summer.
kimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #35 
percyfyshshelley

kimt, I hope your mom gets out of the hospital soon. That's got to be pretty stressful for you.
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #36 
Hadoken Kitty

Oh my gosh. I hope your mom gets better!!!! I'm sorry that it had to be postponed...most of all I hope your mom gets better. :(
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #37 
AyalaCookiejar

Hey kimt, I hope your mom recovers soon!

I don't know if it would be a good idea to keep them outside. The temp will still drop at nighttime. I had 6 one gallon canisters to QT my girls in and they all fit in my ten gallon, so I'm sure you could find something that you could fit 8 into a 20 long! Then you just need a heater in the 20 and it will keep them all warm. I would also QT for at least two weeks. I was only able to QT my girls for a week and 5 days and it turned out OK but 2 weeks minimum is best. (April 1 was my only day off and I don't get another until May 20!)

I think you would do best with the 20 long as opposed to the 20 tall. It'll be better for your girls to have more surface area. You'll need lots of tall plants, but with the extra surface area, you won't have as big an issue with one of your girls trying to chase off all the others when they come up to breathe! Plus, surface area is better if there's more for any Betta tank, even if its just for a single male. After all, they do like to spend most of their time near the top.

Good luck! It will be worth it! I absolutely love my new sorority tank!!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #38 
kimt

Thank you for the kind thoughts about my mom. She has leukemia so it's kind of a marathon. Once she gets her bone marrow transplant she will pretty much have to hibernate for 100 days. She is coming to my house and I am making the fish tank a project for both of us. I think she would enjoy helping me with the tank. Something to do while she is housebound for such a long time. And I think she would enjoy watching them and seeing their personalities.

I think I will stick with the 20L. I'm glad I decided to think about the deluxe kit and didn't buy it. I do think the 20L will fit the spot in my house better and I knew that more surface area was better for the fish.

AyalaCookiejar - Do you have a picture of your setup of how you had your girls in one tank? I'm just not picturing it. I thought quarantining meant not having them in the same water.
kimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #39 
AyalaCookiejar

I have a picture here somewhere of my QT set up... I'll see if I can find it.

They weren't in the same water. I had six separate one gallon containers that fit inside my 10 gallon. I floated them in the ten gallon which had water and a heater in it and it kept the tanks warm with only one heater and with them still separated. I had a separate thing to siphon and change the water as well. I didn't want to purchase a new siphon for the QT so I bought airline tubing to use as a siphon and a turkey bastor to suck out the debris and it was only $4 for both. It was difficult to remove the QT tanks from the 10 gallon because it was a bit of a tight fit. I also don't do 100% water changes to prevent stress.

My sorority tank, minus the first two days it was set up, has not shown any nitrites or ammonia. I keep my tanks cycled so I don't need 100%s but with them only being in the uncycled QT tanks for 2 weeks, I didn't worry about it. I had two of my girls in one gallon tanks for about three months with no 100% changes and they were fine. I just did 3-4 50%s a week. Its time consuming but won't last long.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #40 
AyalaCookiejar

You can see the heater in the back between the first and second tanks. It would work best if you filled the bigger tank a little fuller so the tanks kind of float but I didn't have enough space. Then you could fit the heater horizontally under the QT tanks. Plus, you have to make sure the QT tanks won't tip over.