Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2008, 08:59 PM   #1 
Vampure

Thumbs down I'd like fish matching opinions

I have a male betta (Mo Mo) in a 10 gallon tank. He's doing well and I think he's ready for a few tank mates (from some of what I've read I might should've added him last) but I wanted opinions. As of Christmas I'll hopefully have it planted. I wanted to know what some recommendations or suggestions would be of fish that would go well in his tank with him. He's relatively calm as far as bettas go and rarely flares at his reflection even. I don't wanna risk long tailed fish or others that are obviously a bad idea, or ones that would harass him since he is so 'calm'. Also, I would like for them to be 'pretty' fish that I will also enjoy looking at, but that will make the tank look good (top, mid, bottom). I won't be getting more til after Christmas but I wanna go ahead and get opinions please. Thanks so much.
Vampure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:06 PM   #2 
Cody

The best answer to this is...

What do YOU like? Its your tank. It is always helpful if you go to your LFS, write down names, and post them here. Then we can figure out what works.

But, there are a few options which come to mind.

-Cories or Pygmy Cories
-Ottos
-*Maybe* a few species of Tetras... the calmer kinds. Same with Rasboras
-Maybe Hatchets
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:07 PM   #3 
Vampure

Thumbs down Another fish matching question (Girlfriends fish)

My girlfriend has a slightly spastic betta in a 10 gallon tank. It has an air stone and a filter and after Christmas will have the rest of it's decorations. It's a crowntail so it's a bit more flowy than my Mo Mo (veiltail) so, along with the more attractive tail (for fish to attack) and slightly spastic personality (sometimes happy and calm, other's off the wall and slightly aggressive), we have a different problem as far as compatible fish for her tank. I was wondering what some suggestions would be for her fish. (Btw, I'm asking for her cause her comp is a lil slow sometimes) He's such a pretty fish and deserves something to go in there that'll be nice to look at but not outshine him. Again, just as mine, it'll be after Christmas that the fish are added. Thanks so much.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:16 PM   #4 
Vampure

My local store has a limited selection. I've looked at what's ok and read and read and read. I was curious more so as to if there were any specifics that would be better since he was calmer. Tetras I'm concerned with (they were one of my first choices) but I'm afraid that as calm as he is, he still might eat them. What do you think if I got 6 Neon Tetras. How would that work?
Old 12-18-2008, 12:18 AM   #5 
iamntbatman

Neons are really small, and he may try to eat them. I would go for a larger species of non-nippy tetra like black neons or bloodfin tetras. The fish Cody suggested are also good choices. Kuhli loaches would also work well. If you get the loaches or corydoras catfish, you'll want a sand substrate rather than gravel.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:06 PM   #6 
Vampure

Thanks so much. I looked at the Black Neons. They actually look really cool. I'm really considering putting them in there w my lil guy. Thanks for the help. Really.