Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2013, 07:52 AM   #11 
Esahc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fish View Post
Poor little guys, they never even got a chance. :( I don't know how employees can just ignore stuff like that. Even if you don't know better, you can tell when an animal has died and think that maybe you should do something. :(
I don't want to sound like I'm defending Walmart employees AT ALL, there's no excuse for treating animals like that. But the thing about Walmart, at least the ones down here (we don't have any petlands so I can't speak for them, but honestly it sound like it might be a similar thing?) is that it's kinda a last resort place for a job, and a toxic place to work. Any one with any experience, knowledge, passion for their work, or the slightest chance of getting hired elsewhere is going to go somewhere else. Unfortunately that seems to mean that the few that still carry animals, it's the animals that end up paying for it.
Esahc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #12 
bettafishgirl

Um, honestly

I really don't think that they are killing puppies. Becuase if so, they surely would have been caught by now. lol.

As for the Bettas, yes most pet stores usually have the poor guys in horrible conditions. :c
bettafishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #13 
Artemis

Puppy mill pups sounds like it. Yes walmart isn't a good work place. Our PetCo takes relatively good care of their fish thank you Jade!!!! The fish love ya for it!!
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #14 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fish View Post
Oh my gosh, they had PUPPIES dying?! I'm not saying that any animal is more important than another, but typically if you are killing mammals, you've got a big problem on your hands. :(

Sadly, our walmart is the same way, and our petco isn't a whole lot better. :( I was there yesterday to pick up some stuff, and they had several dead bettas rotting in their cups (sorry for the image there), and many more who were sick and probably dying. I felt terrible for them...I just can't take on any more fish...I don't have the time, space, or money to treat them properly. :( It's horrible, and I still feel bad for them. Poor little guys, they never even got a chance. :( I don't know how employees can just ignore stuff like that. Even if you don't know better, you can tell when an animal has died and think that maybe you should do something. :(

They had some disease sweep through all their puppies not long after they opened. Apparently, they did not QT. People who bought puppies exposed their dogs at home to it. A lot of dogs started dying, but I think it was mostly just the ones from PetLand. I am assuming it was something you vaccinate against, and they just weren't vaccinated and those who had vaccinated their other dogs at home were okay. But within a few months it was traced back to PetLand.My cousin used to go in an play with the puppies, and one of the workers who knew her told her that their puppies were dropping dead there too, not just in customers homes. The city got involved and I think there were lawsuits against PetLand. There were constant protests outside their building, and within a few months of opening no one was ever in their parking lot. They closed, and then reopened but still no one went there.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:05 PM   #15 
carbonxxkidd

PetLand is notorious for selling puppies and kittens that were bred in mills, in terrible conditions. I've never been in one but I know of one that recently (a few years ago) opened near me. I refuse to go there. BOYCOTT PETLAND!!!
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote