Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2008, 08:32 AM   #1 
FishyGurl101

Question Betta Breeding Help?

I want to breed bettas, but I don't know if I will have the space/time to take care of the babies. Also, I was wondering if female bettas could be kept together without problems?
FishyGurl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:54 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Female bettas can be kept together in a sorority. You need to have a 10 gallon tank or larger and you shouldn't have less than 4 females. Having 4 or more females spreads out the aggression. Females will fight too. They will establish a pecking order. You need lots of hiding places for them, like caves or plants.You really need to do a lot of research before trying to breed.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:15 AM   #3 
FishyGurl101

Thanks!
FishyGurl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:19 AM   #4 
iamntbatman

Bettas are extremely difficult to breed:

1) You need good breeding stock. Many fish sold at fish stores are too old already to breed.
2) They are aggressive. Males and females don't get along, so getting them to successfully mate can be difficult and you need to have an appropriate breeding tank for them, like a 20g long, with a divider and plenty of hidings spots.
3) You need at least a 40g breeder to raise the young fry and then house the females until they are large enough to sell.
4) You need gallon jars for each male (this can be hundreds of jars in a single spawn). Each jar needs an airstone and needs regular water changes.
5) You need live foods for the young fry, as it can be difficult to get them to eat prepared foods.
6) You need to find homes for all of the fish you end up with, which can be difficult.

So, in other words, to successfully breed bettas requires a lot of money, time and space. If you're interested in breeding fish but want something a little more interesting and challenging than livebearers like guppies, I suggest trying one of the easier to breed cichlids like kribensis or, if you have a big enough tank, convicts.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:59 AM   #5 
aquadude

I sorta think breedin swordtails would be easier but if you want to do it for money most swordtails sell for a dollar or two.
aquadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:01 AM   #6 
aquadude

swordtails i find are the easiest to breed but they dont sell for that much money.
aquadude is offline   Reply With Quote