Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #1 
Luminous

Is it safe to keep unhealthy plants in a tank with a healthy fish?

I have a fish who got sick and his plants had to be out of the tank for two weeks. I don't have an extra heater so they were kept in a bottle in room temperature. They're finally safe from having Ich, but they don't look so good since they weren't in the heat. Is it safe to keep them in my tank? I don't want my fish or the other plants to get sick from it. I put it in the tank with aquarium plant food from API. I just want to make sure I'm not going to get my fish sick or ruin the other plants.

I'm adding a picture, they're the ones in the back.
Attached Images

Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #2 
Elsewhere

I am absolutely no expert with plants, but my mother once brought me home some "Surprise plants" for my tank that were just horrid. I immediately cleaned them and put them in and they're now healthier than ever and so are my fish. I could have done something stupid and gotten lucky, though. Someone else probably has more knowledge and a better opinion.
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #3 
Luminous

Thank you. I never had unhealthy plants (I'm fairly new to them as it is), and it's nice to know that unhealthy plants have improved and the fish hasn't gotten sick from it.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #4 
VJM

If they are rotting, the dead parts can cause an imbalance in your water parameters. I take off the parts that are obviously dead and not going to come back. It can be surprising how well they rejuvenate, it's just a slow process.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #5 
Luminous

Thank you. I'll definitely do that on the healthy ones. The unhealthy ones look kind of bad all together. Would it be safe to take off all the ends?