Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2013, 06:35 AM   #1 
Smithr06

Need Info On Betta ASAP Please

Hello Everyone, I was online looking at information regarding Betta fish. My daughter is turning 2 on Monday and she has everything! she is totally obsessed with fish so we decided to get her a fish for her birthday. However the more I look into it, I see there is a lot to look into when purchasing a fish (im used to the carnival ones that die in a few days) So I was hoping ANYONE with any knowledge on Betta fish could help me out, I have a few questions only b/c I want to do this right and give the fish a good home. We were looking to get a Betta b/c we know they prefer to be alone. she is only 2 so she does not need a whole aquarium.....I just need to know...
what kind of fish food?
What kind of tank should I get?
What temp should the room/water be?
If we were to put the bowl in her room on top of her dresser would the fish be happy, i ask this b/c she has2 windows (not sure on if they need sunlight or enjoy it) also she doesn't play in her room so there would not be much activity around the fish bowl...will this affect the fishs health? or should we keep the fish downstairs in the family room somewhere?

These are just a few questions, If ANYONE could shed a little light on these beautiful fish I would appreciate it. We were looking to purchase one tomorrow night (3-30-13) Please; any response to any questions above would be appreciated. You can also Email me directly at RachelWheeler4111@gmail.com..... Thank you!!!! I know my daughter will appreciate it, and i am all for making animas as comfortable as possible when they are taken out of their "territory"
Smithr06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:37 AM   #2 
bettabetter

Alright, for food betta fish need pellets, not flakes, and it doesn't matter to much what brand, but I use nutrafin max betta pellets. The tank should probably be a minimum of 2.5 galleons, although bigger is better. they can live in smaller, but it is difficult to fit a heater inside smaller and they need a water change every second day if it's smaller. The temperature should be between 75-82 degrees, which means you need a heater.
about the sunlight, they don't mind it, and they do need some light source. but just make sure it isn't to close, as a window can cause the temperature to sway. activity doesn't affect there health, but I know my bettas are a lot happier when I am in the room and there is activity. Betta fish are extremely smart, and love to play.
If yo need anymore info, i would recommend reading this through: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49160
it has all the info :)
good luck with your new fish!
bettabetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

Welcome. I'm going to to give the basics here & then you can ask specific questions if you need to. I feed my fish New Life Spectrum & Omega One pellets. Once or twice a week I replace their pellet meal with frozen blood worms, brine shrimp or daphnia. The smallest permanent home I use is a 2.5g tank (bought at Petsmart), I don't have them filtered but others do. I do 2 70% water changes per week with a 100% every 3-4 water changes. You will need a good water conditioner such as Prime to remove chlorine, chloramines, etc. from your tap before you put it into the tank. You will also need a heater, preferably an adjustable one to keep the water 78-80F & an in tank thermometer to monitor the temp. I use the Aqueon 50W in both my 2.5g tanks. Your Betta will like silk or real plants with a cave, they like places to hide & rest. In my experience they really like to be where's there's activity so if you can put him (or her) in a more active place then great, if not then he'll be fine so long as he gets some attention/interaction in your 2 yr olds room.being close to a window is fine although if there's too much direct sunlight you could have an algae problem. They need a day/night cycle so some light during the day from the window will work great. When you get your new fish you'll want to properly acclimate him, not just pour him into the new tank. Pour out half the water in the container he comes in from the store, float it in the tank, add a tablespoon of tank water every 15-20 minutes for a minimum of an hour, then either net him & release him into the tank or use your hand to get put him in, try not to get the container water into the tank. When choosing your Betta do your best to pick a healthy one since this is your 1st, look at his behavior; is he responsive, flaring, do his fins look tattered. You'll be amazed how much they change when they get out of the bad container & into good clean warm water. OK, I think I covered all the basics. Ask questions & we'll do our best to answer them.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:51 AM   #4 
RiceFish

What kind of fish food? I believe these are the most well known/used.
- New life spectrum betta food
- Omega one betta pellets
- Hikari betta bio gold

Depending on which one you get it's important not to overfeed and limit it to 3-4 pellets a day.

What kind of tank should I get?
- Most people on these forums are going to recommend at least 2.5 gallons but it can be done with 1 gallon bowls as well.

However more gallons is always better for betta fish. Tanks 1-4 gallons with no filter are going to need 2 water changes weekly. one 25% and one 50% change every week. Make sure to use water conditioner when changing the water and try keeping the new water you place in the bowl the same temperature as the original water so that the betta does not become stressed.

What temp should the room/water be?
- Betta fish are tropical fish so they do like warm water generally between 76-84 F. I recommend getting a heater for your bowl depending on what size you get, most likely will be a pre-set heater. In terms of 2.5 gallons and up you can use a adjustable 25w heater which are always more accurate and most likely to have a stable temperature.

If we were to put the bowl in her room on top of her dresser........
- You want to keep the bowl out of direct sunlight because I believe, not exactly 100% sure that it can promote algae growth in the bowl/tank if left in the sun? Someone please confirm on this xD

- You can always just use a desk lamp and place it over the bowl. Bettas like a minimum of 6 hours of light.

Hope this helps :)

If you have any other questions try looking at the "Betta Fish Care" section of these forums for a a general guide to betta keeping
RiceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #5 
alwaysaBettaLover

2?? Well... I would start out with a small half gallon. There is no filter, no heater or anything.plants and pebbles aren't that difficult to find or pick out. And as far as food and water conditioner goes, just ask what the staff recommend. Though I would read the water conditioner labels closely. I had a betta fish die because I didn't read the label on what I thought was water conditioner. Also room temp. Should be AROUND 70 degrees to 80. It Dosent really need sunlight(unless you want to throw some potting soil in there too ) so on top of the dresser is a great place just make sure it's away from the edge - DUH!-another thing, betta fish have different personality types so if he has a wild personality and is left alone, he will be lonely.
alwaysaBettaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysaBettaLover View Post
2?? Well... I would start out with a small half gallon. There is no filter, no heater or anything.plants and pebbles aren't that difficult to find or pick out. And as far as food and water conditioner goes, just ask what the staff recommend. Though I would read the water conditioner labels closely. I had a betta fish die because I didn't read the label on what I thought was water conditioner. Also room temp. Should be AROUND 70 degrees to 80. It Dosent really need sunlight(unless you want to throw some potting soil in there too ) so on top of the dresser is a great place just make sure it's away from the edge - DUH!-another thing, betta fish have different personality types so if he has a wild personality and is left alone, he will be lonely.
I don't understand your post, are you saying that a betta is going to be perfectly content in a 1/2 gallon bowl kept at as low as 70 degrees farenheit?

If so that is ridiculous.

Smithr06,

A good size starter tank would be one that is between 2.5 - 5 gallons. Like Ricefish mentioned, they are a tropical fish that require temperatures of between 76-82 degrees. Don't let any employee at any store (no matter how convincing they seem) tell you that bettas will do fine without a heater. They are wrong and need to be taken out and hit on the head with a clue-by-four. Also you want an adjustable heater with a thermostat. Not one that only heats up to 5 degrees above room temperature. Those are rubbish and often worse than having no heater at all.

The best dry fish food available is the New Life Spectrum range. It is pricey, but the ingredients are of a lot higher quality than the cheaper brands. However, if you want to give your betta the occasional treat, you can keep packets of frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp in the freezer and give him a couple once or twice a week. Just be aware, some people do have allergies related to frozen bloodworms, so be careful when handling them!

It's best to leave tanks or bowls out of direct sunlight, as this may make the water too hot for your betta. If it is indirect sunlight however, you will probably be okay.

The most important piece of information I have to pass on, is always do your research before going to the store. Store employees will tell you anything to make a sale and often tell you the wrong thing. Don't ever make impulse buys based on what store employees recommend. I have met very few I would trust to do the right thing by me.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

+1 LittleBettaFish ^
Read all the stickies and don't listen to the employees.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #8 
Crowntails

+2 Littlebettafish
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:01 PM   #9 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysaBettaLover View Post

.... I can't decide if this is a troll post or not...
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:14 PM   #10 
Chevko

Troll posts are horribly bad for people honestly wanting to learn.

I'll pipe in about the food!
With betta food you do have a lot of options and pellets are best indeed! Feed two of them... what was it? Once daily? And look for food that has a lot of protein on the ingredients list!
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote